Need help with a toggle switch project

Dano33

Joined Jan 6, 2010
I recenty wired up a LED light to a SPST toggle switch for a project on a boat. Moving forward, I would like to add another LED light to the circuit. I would like replace my current swith with a switch that will allow me to have:

1. One light on when the toggle switch is in the up position
2. Both lights off when the toggle switch is in the middle position
3. Both light on when the toggle switch is in the down position

With that said, would I need a DPDT switch and if so, how would I have to wire it?

Thanks in advance for your help-

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
DPDT-center off would work. SW numbering : moveable contact A1, B1; top A2, B2; center off, A3, B3; bottom, A4, B4. Connect + power to A1 & B1, connect A2 to A4; +LEDs to A4 & B4. Other end of LEDs to -.

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
How did you have the original LED wire, and what were you switching?

Not sure if this is what Bernard was envisioning. This is one half of a DPDT. The other half controls whatever you were switching. For equal brightbness:
The left resistor is (Vs-VledA-VledB)/0.01A
The right resistor is (Vs-VledA)/0.01A

Ken

Attachments

Dano33

Joined Jan 6, 2010
Wow, you guys are way more technical than I am when it comes to this stuff!

The first light I wired up was a 2 wire LED light strip that I connected to the switch and the fuse pannel.

The second light I am looking at adding is a very small, 2 wire LED overhead light.

I plan on replacing the existing switch with whatever I need and then wiring it up so that in the up position, only the LED light strip would come on. In the center position, both lights would be off. In the down position, both the LED light strip and the LED overhead light would come on.

Seeing that this is all pretty new to me, are there any diagrams available that would should be how to hook up the wires to make this work?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Since these are not simple, tiny LEDs, do you have links to them? Things like what voltage and current is involved would help.

Ken

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
Do you have a 2 position navigation light switch on board? One position activates the anchor (or stern) light, middle position is off, and the other position activates both the bow and anchor light.

If so, just duplicate that switch and wire it the same way to accomplish what you want to do.

Duane P Wetick

Joined Apr 23, 2009
Since I am a boater, I have some interest in this topic. Exactly what kind of LED's are you going to use; High power (12Vdc, @? amp), Array, (12Vdc @ ? amp). You have to give us some data on the LED's for a proper solution. A single LED would not have sufficient illumination for a navigation light.

Regards, DPW [ Everyone's knowledge is in-complete...Albert Einstein]

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
The first light I wired up was a 2 wire LED light strip that I connected to the switch and the fuse pannel.

The second light I am looking at adding is a very small, 2 wire LED overhead light.
Sounds like our OP is just trying to wire up some manufactured lights. Guess we'll just have to wait for his return.

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
Typically what you will find is a DPDT switch with an additional connection to ground the switch for the internal light. If you need any more help, we can walk you through it.

What current? Resistor to limit current? Power rating? Lots of questions... Single LED's are totally in-effective for marine navigation lighting. Advise...

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
What current? Resistor to limit current? Power rating? Lots of questions... Single LED's are totally in-effective for marine navigation lighting. Advise...

Duane,

Go back and read dano33's posts:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=201814&postcount=4 and http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showpost.php?p=202035&postcount=9

These are 12V interior LED lighting modules. Treat them as light bulbs...except for polarity. ;)