Need help with a project

samsmith11

Joined Dec 17, 2013
I am new to this forum and also new to the field of electronics. I am a computer programmer by profession and hobby. I have a few ideas where I would like to get a microchip programmed and fabricated. I can explain this in detail if any one is interested in helping me create one. Can this be done on a small scale without having to pay big money.$$$$

Thank you for reading my post

samsmith11

Joined Dec 17, 2013
No I do not do this for a living. I am a computer programmer and work on development of web based applications. I have a full time job. I have an idea for a product, and want to get it developed. Some what like a hobby project. That is one of the reasons I am here on this forum. Can you help me build an electronic device if I gave you specs? I am ready to pay for it.

Thank you
Sohrab

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

If you could post the specifics of what you want to do, we can help you come up with a circuit and perhaps a program at no cost as long as you aren't in a hurry and don't mind having it on the forum shared so others can learn (intent of the forum). From there you could build and program it yourself or perhaps someone here will do it for some cash. I've done this for other members a handful of times, but I, as well as others I'm sure, hesitate to offer help until we know what it is you want to do.

If, for instance, you want a simple LCD display showing time and temperature, turning on motors, doing cool things with LEDs, etc., I can help. If you want a video card made for your PC, not so much. :rolleyes:

If you want to commission someone to work on your project privately, some one here may, but you'll pay a lot more for their time and won't get the benefit of having others chime in with ideas which may lower the cost, time to develop, come up with a better method to accomplish same task, etc.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
elect_mech explains it clearly enough.

AAC is an open source forum where we are here to help each other at no cost. Everyone learns from the experience.

If you wish to retain the IP and want to commission the work then there are folks on AAC who can do that. That will cost a lot more than free. For starters I charge $300/hr.

samsmith11

Joined Dec 17, 2013
Thank you every one for your quick reply, and welcoming me to your forum. I completely agree with MrChips and elec_mech, I am ok with paying the hourly charges. I have already applied for a patent on the product that I want to develop, and plan on making money out of it. I will consider this as my investment and, am ready to spend my savings, because I believe in my ideas. This is the only reason I would like to keep the specifics confidential. Can some one help me turn my ideas into reality?

Can I post my email id in this section so you can get in touch with me, just want to make sure I do not violate any rules by posting email addresses.

Thank you very much every body for your willingness help.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Can I post my email id in this section so you can get in touch with me, just want to make sure I do not violate any rules by posting email addresses.
There is a Private Message feature on the board. Perhaps you could encourage some people to use that. I think you must have more than 10 posts to use it, though...

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you have valid patent your invention is already public information. Your patent application will be free for everyone to download AND read. So it is no need for this put on secretiveness at all. What you could as a start is to post a link to your assumed patent. That will also prove that you are not some student fishing for a easy way out of some assignment. It is the season for that around these times of the year. I also agree. If you want the forum to help you. You do it public for all members to read. If not help will require a signed contract. It is your call

samsmith11

Joined Dec 17, 2013
My patent is filed recently and is in its initial stage. I have been asked to keep this confidential by the lawyer until we hear back from the patent office which can take up-to 12 weeks, hence keeping it confidential is important. A signed contract is what I would like to go with. How do I proceed?

samsmith11

Joined Dec 17, 2013
I clicked on your name and there was no option for PM all I saw was as follows:

View Public Profile
Find all posts by MrChips
Add MrChips to Your Contacts
View Blog

I checked every link and there was no link for a personal message.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You won't violate anything posting your e-mail (to my knowledge), BUT spammers will quickly find it and you'll wish you hadn't.

As nerdegutta mentioned, you need at least ten posts to enable PM permission. Just make four more one-liner posts then contact MrChips via PM.

As part of your ten post goal, can give a basic description of what you're looking for?

samsmith11

Joined Dec 17, 2013
The device should not exceed 5cm in size [Width:0.5cm, Height:eek:.5cm, Depth:0.5cm] including board + programmed chip + battery(button cell battery)