Need help wiring cord to a 1.5 hp 115/230 volt motor!

liftupyourheads

Joined May 2, 2012
I am completely new to electronics. I am a knife maker and I burned out my original motor for my belt grinder so I ordered another from ebay. When it arrived I was dismayed to find that there was no power cord attached! I've discovered that this is typical, however I have no idea how to wire a cord up to it and I don't want to mess up my new motor.

I was told that I need to figure out whether I want to run it on 115 volts or 230 volts but I don't even know which of those I want...

If anyone can help that would be AWESOME! I need this machine so I can continue making knives.

I was also wondering if I could use the old power cord from my burned out grinder?

thank you!

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
What does the name plate on the old motor say? If it says 115/220 also, there should be a wiring diagram as part of the nameplate or under the cover where the cord goes in. How is the old motor wired?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'm guessing USA because he has 115 available.
and yes, you can use the old cord if it isn't brittle or chewed up.
and this isn't electronics per se, but us electronic guys know how to do it.

So...read the label or post a photo.
I'm also guessing that reading the label will show how to fix this right up.

MBVet05

Joined Jul 21, 2011
Generally, you have 3 wires going to the motor for ac. A hot, a neutral, and a ground. Just follow the wires from the plug to the motor like you would with an electric laundry dryer, or other such 3 phase wired equipment. Then just change out each wire one at a time. The other way that is easy for non electrical types is to mark the wires as they correspond to the motor and old cable and just match them up. Voila! If that is too confusing I am sure there are many DIY sites that have pics.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Generally, you have 3 wires going to the motor for ac. A hot, a neutral, and a ground. Just follow the wires from the plug to the motor like you would with an electric laundry dryer, or other such 3 phase wired equipment. Then just change out each wire one at a time. The other way that is easy for non electrical types is to mark the wires as they correspond to the motor and old cable and just match them up. Voila! If that is too confusing I am sure there are many DIY sites that have pics.
I can think of a few ways that can go wrong.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBVet05

I can think of a few ways that can go wrong.

Especially since this is single phase and not 3 phase and we still don't know if it is 115 or 220 volts!

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
greetings fellow bladesmith. I used a compressor motor for my belt grinder. Check it out. Won't be able to help you with yours until we see a pic of the nameplate.
This was enjoyable to watch because it's rare to have a face (in this case, a whole body) that to put on a handle. Jeff Foxworthy says there's a red neck in all of us just yearning to be set free. ;)

Oh, you need one of these!

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-picture-gallery-153748/

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
BTW, 4HP is way overkill for that belt sander. I run a 6" wide belt with a 1/2HP motor that's not even Cap Start. It's not working hard at all.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
BTW, 4HP is way overkill for that belt sander. I run a 6" wide belt with a 1/2HP motor that's not even Cap Start. It's not working hard at all.
It claims 4hp, but I figure maybe it's 1.5 hp. I used a 1/3hp motor at first but it was too weak.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Probably had this question posted up in forums all across the net and found the answer (or some deadly advice) elsewhere.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have begun to think of this as "drive by" posting. Trademark: This person has one post.
Some old guys will not respond to anyone without x number of posts, even if they do look intelligent enough to follow instructions. It seems they don't want to waste their time answering questions for somebody that has little intention of reading the answer.

liftupyourheads

Joined May 2, 2012
Here is the nameplate on the new motor. I was able to figure out which wires connect from the diagram on the nameplate, but I don't know which of those to crimp onto which of the power cords? I've heard that black is power, white is neutral and green is the ground.

Attachments

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
ok, thanks for the pic. sorry for the wait. So, what power were you running the old grinder on? 110 or 220? What does the cord look like? like the regular plugs in your house, like a lamp? Actually, you live in America, right?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
It says Hz, on the motor, don't most countries that use 220 for general appliances use Hz? I am going to guess he lives in the US.
Hz = Hertz. Hertz is the measure of frequency. Every AC wave has a Hz. In America we operate on 60Hz, some other places operate on 50Hz. In America most household appliances operate on 120V (110V, 115V)and in some other places, everything is 240V (220V, 230V)