Need help wiring cord to a 1.5 hp 115/230 volt motor!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by liftupyourheads, May 2, 2012.

1. n1ist

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 8, 2009
    Hopefully, you are in the US, as that's a 60Hz motor. Judging from the label,

Depending on the direction you want it to rotate and the voltage, you have 4 choices. Note that for 115v, it doesn't matter which lead is hot and which one is neutral. In any case, the ground lead connects to the motor frame. Make sure all connections are mechanically secure and properly insulated.

For 115v (so it can plug into a regular outlet) - note that this will need a 20A circuit; electrical code would require a 20A plug...

CCW rotation: one lead to P1, one lead to T2, T4, T5, and tie P2, T3, T8 to each other.
    CW rotation: one lead to P1, one lead to T2, T4, T8, and tie P2, T3, T5 to each other.

For 220v (plugged into a 220v outlet like a dryer, stove, etc.) - in this case, the neutral, if present, is not used, as the motor connects between the two hot leads

CCW rotation: one lead to P1, the other to T4 and T5, and connect T2, T3, and T8 together.
    CW rotation: one lead to P1, the other to T4 and T8, and connect T2, T3, and T5 together.
    /mike

2. liftupyourheads

Thread Starter New Member

May 2, 2012
    I do live in America. I figured out that I want to run it on 110. It seems like the issue now is that I don't know which wires to crimp to the three wires in the plug. Is it possible to know that from the diagram on the motor?

3. liftupyourheads

May 2, 2012
    Thanks n1ist.
    What about the ground wire in the plug? What do I attach that to in the motor? Also what is a 20A plug, does it say 20A on the package somewhere?

4. liftupyourheads

May 2, 2012
    n1ist: how do you connect the ground lead to the motor frame? Just find a place and screw it in?

5. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    If this is a new motor there should be a green screw in the area where all the wire connections are made. This is the point where you need to attach the ground wire.

As for the 20A plug and receptacle find a "NEMA 5-20R" and "NEMA 5-20P" from your local hardware store. see image for visual reference. Your wiring from the circuit breaker / fuse to the motor should be a minimum of 12AWG wire size to handle the current safely.