Need help wiring a motor to a switch

XDeus

Joined Aug 8, 2012
I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I'm a little stumped and before I start doing trial and error I thought I would look for help.

Here is a wiring diagram of the motor I'm working with:

I'm trying to wire it to a simple SPDT toggle switch so that I can run it CW and CCW. I know how to configure it for one or the other, but not both. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I do not believe this is possible with a single pole switch. However, it is possible with a DPDT switch. You will want a switch that has a center off position so that the motor can stop before you reverse its direction. See attached drawing...

Attachments

XDeus

Joined Aug 8, 2012
Thanks! I wasn't entirely sure if it was possible with an SPDT switch. I'll pick up the right switch and get it connected. Thanks again.

XDeus

Joined Aug 8, 2012
Okay... I'm almost there.

I'm pretty sure I wired it according to your diagram, but it's not behaving right. When I turn it on I hear a hum from the motor, but it doesn't turn. When I switch the new DPDT switch in one direction it will move, but when I switch it to OFF or Reverse it will continue rotating in the same direction. When I unplug it and switch it in the Reverse position, it behaves the same way in that it continues to move in Reverse, but OFF and Forward have no effect and it continues to move in Reverse until I unplug it. Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm almost there, but I don't have a clue as to what is causing the anomalies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What do you mean...DPDT switch that has forward, reverse, and off? A DPDT switch only has 2 positions: Forward and backwards. This one in particular has no way to turn the power on or off.

As for reversing while it's running, You Can't Do That! Don't Even Try!

There are only 3 valid states for this wiring. Post #1: the diagram on the left, the diagram on the right, and no power.

You wire it clockwise, turn on the power, turn off the power, wait for it to come to a complete stop and then you can

wire it counterclockwise, apply power, turn off the power, and wait for it to come to a complete stop.

end of list.

Too much? Sorry. I panic when good motors are in danger.

Last edited:

XDeus

Joined Aug 8, 2012
Yes, it's a DPDT switch that has On-Off-On. I wasn't trying to reverse it while it was running, although I'm glad it didn't do that when I switched it. I moved it to one position, either forward or reverse, but then when I moved it to the center-Off position, it continued to run. I then moved it to the opposite position (idiot decision on my part), but it continued to run in the same direction. This is the switch that I'm using.

Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but I have the neutral going to P1 and the hot going to T2/T4.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Your power lines are correct. They need a switch to turn one or both of them off and on. SPST or DPST would work.
I'm glad you didn't burn up the motor. Now you know, the reverser switch has to be set in one direction or the other, then you apply power, then you switch the power off, then you don't move the reverser switch until the motor comes to a stop.

That switch you put a link to is not a DPDT. You need a switch with 6 connectors on the bottom to make a reverser.