Need Help regaring a 0-10V Variable Voltage Regulator

buddyengineers

Joined Mar 19, 2005
I just designed a Variable Voltage Regulator for 0 to 10V dc.
For tht I used a LM7812 with about 17V as the input and I get 12V at output.

Now, to regulate the 12V o/p dc, I connected a Voltage Divider ckt with a Potentiometer.
The pot is of 600Kohms and so I connnected a 120kOhms resistor in series to get the voltage divider output to 10v.

Now at no load, everytime I move my pot, the output varies from 0v to 10v. but immediately as I connect a load (which is a standard Dimmable Balast for tubelights which takes 1-10v as input), the output voltage goes to 11.5v and on turning the pot, I dont get a linear response.

The output remains at 11.5v for a long time and only after the resistance of the pot has decreased to less than 300kohms that the output starts reducing, but its not gradual and shows a exponential format...

Am very confused on y is this happening??? Load rating of the dimmable ballast is 1-10v, less than 0.6mA.

I know that this is not the ideal way to create a voltage regulator... but still am confused as to wat is the problem...
Also suggest me a better way to make a 0-10v regulator please.

Thanks

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That large resistance is most of your problem. Use a 2K fixed resistor and a 10K pot instead of the 720 Kohm string. The divider you are using will permit only 16.7 microamps current. That is a lot less than the 600 microamps you need.

If you want a regulator for 0 - 10 volts, use an LM317. Tying the ground pin to -1.25 volts will allow adjustment to 0 volts.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Also suggest me a better way to make a 0-10v regulator please.
With your present setup, the easiest way is to add a NPN transistor as shown, forming an emitter follower. Just about any small signal NPN will do nicely. I2 represent the 0.6mA loading.

Due to the external loading, even with a 10K POT as suggested above, the voltage change is not linear when the variable resistor is near the bottom of the range.

Attachments

buddyengineers

Joined Mar 19, 2005
That large resistance is most of your problem. Use a 2K fixed resistor and a 10K pot instead of the 720 Kohm string. The divider you are using will permit only 16.7 microamps current. That is a lot less than the 600 microamps you need.

If you want a regulator for 0 - 10 volts, use an LM317. Tying the ground pin to -1.25 volts will allow adjustment to 0 volts.

I tried using LM317.. but to no avail... I connected a 100k resistor as R1 and the 600k pot as R2. According to the formula, I should be getting about 8.75v... but my multimeter showed 13v... <snip> confused now!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

buddyengineers

Joined Mar 19, 2005
With your present setup, the easiest way is to add a NPN transistor as shown, forming an emitter follower. Just about any small signal NPN will do nicely. I2 represent the 0.6mA loading.

Due to the external loading, even with a 10K POT as suggested above, the voltage change is not linear when the variable resistor is near the bottom of the range.

Thanks... This worked...