Need help rebuilding circuit

evo803

Joined Oct 7, 2009
I have a small video camera(Hawkeye Nature Camera ) that I mount outside to keep an eye on my dogs in the fenced in yard. It seems that red squirrels in my area like circuit boards and destroyed the one attached to the input of the camera. I have cleaned up the board ,but most of the components were completely munched up. I am looking for input from everyone to see if I cant get this put back together with standard through hole components not smd. My biggest hurdle is the ic I think this is it mc34063a . I can't find it so I am looking for help with getting something similar . Second is L-1 (inductor ?)I do not know what this is exactly,I have a picture and it says 561 on it. Also need help with cap sizing, my guess is all of this will be based on the ic. The unit runs of a wall wart 9vdc @ .5amp . There is a camera and ir leds ( nighttime ) that need a power supply. I have some pics and a preliminary schematic if you could look this over and put your two cents in I would really appreciate it.

Attachments

Last edited:

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I have a small video camera(Hawkeye Nature Camera ) that I mount outside to keep an eye on my dogs in the fenced in yard. It seems that red squirrels in my area like circuit boards and destroyed the one attached to the input of the camera.
Dad-gum squirrels! They'll do it every time...

I have cleaned up the board ,but most of the components were completely munched up. I am looking for input from everyone to see if I cant get this put back together with standard through hole components not smd. My biggest hurdle is the ic I think this is it mc34063a . I can't find it so I am looking for help with getting something similar.
Actually, that's the easiest part. An MC34063A is a 1.5A switching power supply IC; it can be configured as a buck, boost, or inverting power supply. Many vendors stock them. An MC33063A is a similar part. ONsemi, National Semiconductor and others make them. There is also the NCP3063; ONsemi has a handy design too for it in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. It would probably be easier to go that route. The NCP3063 also has better temperature range specifications, as well as a higher switching frequency - meaning the inductor can be smaller for the same current output.

Second is L-1 (inductor ?)I do not know what this is exactly,I have a picture and it says 561 on it.
That's 560uH. Sounds like your camera has a fairly hefty supply current requirement.

Also need help with cap sizing, my guess is all of this will be based on the ic. The unit runs of a wall wart 9vdc @ .5amp . There is a camera and ir leds ( nighttime ) that need a power supply. I have some pics and a preliminary schematic if you could look this over and put your two cents in I would really appreciate it.
Well, it is rather difficult to guess what your output voltage and current requirement is from just those three components (IC, inductor, wall wart) - sadly, the rest of the evidence is inside a squirrel somewhere.

However, if you know what voltage/current the camera itself requires, or if you know what the original specifications of the board for output voltage/current was, that will give us something to go by.

evo803

Joined Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for the response Sgt , I opened up the camera and the inputs on the board said 5vdc. So you think based on the picture the ic really is the mc34063a. So it is probably set up as a buck. I will have to get the data sheet and see if I were to set it up as a buck controller for 5 vdc output if it matches the resistoor and cap values I was able to salvage.