need help please

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What is the wattage or current requirements of the bulb?
Why do you need the relay?
Why do you need the 1.5v battery?
The -ve side of the battery needs to be connected.
You need to limit the current into the base of the transistor.

oolesh

Joined Apr 21, 2012
it's a 5v clap on circuit so i want to modify it by removing the led then put a relay to switch a bulb because it's useless like this HELP ME $(KGrHqEOKnIE4Fi3hCt2BOHWOM,3Ug~~_12.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This thread is a continuation of your other thread on this topic. The mods should merge them.

You need to understand that current can only flow in a loop, a circuit. Connecting just one pole of a battery does nothing - there is no loop. You probably want to connect the "-" poles together, and then your arrangement will work. (Base resistor still needed, as discussed in your other thread.)

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
point of any such modification is to leave original circuit operational.
circuit you posted is designed to drive low power device - n LED.
you don't want to load the circuit too much by adding relay directly.

there are different ways to get this done, for example by adding additional transistor driver that turns on relay. or you could remove LED, and replace it with an input of a optocoupler. if optocoupler has high current transfer ratio and output voltage rating of say 35V or more, you can use it directly to drive small 12 or 24V relay (need still need diode across relay coil to suppress kickback and protect optocoupler).

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Along the same line, I am assuming the bulb is a 120VAC lamp.
I was going to suggest leaving the original board as is but drive an SSR (Solid State Relay with an AC load).

Of course since this requires AC mains wiring, it would require particular attention to safety and proper housing and this forum frowns upon such projects.

oolesh

Joined Apr 21, 2012
oh yes i will try the optocoupler!!! i will remove the led and put the optocoupler!! can i use any Optocoupler on it? is this model is good 'PC817 Optocoupler'

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would skip the mechanical relay and use an SSR instead of the optocoupler.
You still have to stated the voltage requirement of the bulb.

oolesh

Joined Apr 21, 2012
can't find the SSR here in mauritius but the optocoupler easy to find here and it's very cheap OPT-PC817-pinout.jpg so the pin 1 is + and pin 2 is - ! what is the maximum voltage can i put on pin 3 'negetive' and 4 'positive' !! i want to put a 12v 8w Tube Light on it ! what do u think if i put the 12v Tube Light directly i use the optocoupler like a switch??thanks alot SIR:)

oolesh

Joined Apr 21, 2012
i got the datasheet Untitled.png what is Peak Forward Current ??i see it's 1A so it can handle 1A?? the maximum voltage is 35v collector to emitter so i can put 12v?please reply me :(

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The datasheet for your low power opto-coupler shows a maximum allowed Continuous Forward Current of only 50mA. Its maximum allowed Peak Forward Current of 1A is for a duration of only 100 millionths of a second occasionally.
You need a rating of 667mA continuously.

You must use a high power darlington transistor instead with a suitable arrangement of base resistors.