Need help, Pioneer elite VSX-95 Buzzing

mooneymike

Joined Feb 24, 2008
My Pioneer VSX-95 has a buzzing through the speakers. increases with volume. tried disconnecting all components one at a time. tried re grounding to a different place, buzzing stops when relay for speakers is turned on then off then back on but eventually returns. could it be a circuit board relay?
anyone had similar problems on pioneer elite a/v receiver??

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
You apparently are not alone. This seems to be a fairly common problem, judging from the hits I got when searching for "vsx-95 buzzing" and 'vsx-95 hum".
This thread has some troubleshooting ideas.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I would strongly suspect electrolytic capacitors, particularly those in the power supply.

Make a close visual inspection and see if any of the capacitors seem to be "bulging" or blown out at the top, or if there are any signs of leaking/corrosion near caps.

There are a couple of Asian manufacturers that have been making defective electrolytic capacitors for a number of years; the electrolyte solution used is too concentrated (strong), which causes the capacitors to fail much more quickly than they should.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
IIRC, there was some corporate espionage going on a few years back resulting in mass manufacture of the wrong formula.The thieves were incautious about what they stole!

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
I went to the Pioneer web site, looking for a manual. I found replacement parts for the VSX-95 (they can make money on those), but I could find nothing else. There were manuals for many products, but none for the VSX-95. Shades of the Soviet Union before its fall, where you could become a nonperson if you fell out of favor with the current regime! Is VSX-95 a nonproduct? Or did I just miss it? If any of you find the manual on Pioneer's site, I'm sure you'll let me know.;)

mooneymike

Joined Feb 24, 2008
Ron, I just sent you a personal mesage did you get it. The vsx-95 is the actual product and I couldn't find anything from pioneer as well.
Mike