Need Help on MicroController Project

00reload00

Joined Dec 29, 2011
Hi Everyone. I am currently doing a auto fertilizer circuit for my project.The aim of it is to auto pump in fertilizer every 1 week.
But is it possible using Microcontroller to control everything ? Because i heard that i need a digital signal to control the output of the fertilizer.

Thanks if anyone can able to assist me !

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Of course it is possible to use an MCU.

and of course you need an output from the MCU to control the pump. How else would you expect to do it if you used an MCU?

What work have you done so far? Have you selected an MCU? Where is your schematics?

00reload00

Joined Dec 29, 2011
The MCU i am using is 8031 ( 8-Bit Microcontroller) because my sch only provided this MCU.

As for the schematic, i had done some research but i can't find any circuit related to auto fertilizer.
So i thought if i use those auto watering plant schematic, will it be alright?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The MCU i am using is 8031 ( 8-Bit Microcontroller) because my sch only provided this MCU.

As for the schematic, i had done some research but i can't find any circuit related to auto fertilizer.

I don't know what an 031 is. If you had a more popular MCU like a PIC then you might stand a better chance of getting help.

There is no need to find a schematic for a fertilizer. The schematic should be fairly simple. You first need to determine the power requirements of your pump.

But if all you want to do is turn the pump on and off then all you need is a simple off the shelf timer. If you want to measure levels, temperature, flow rates or whatever and turn the pump on and off based on those measurements then you will need a MCU.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011

It sounds like you are trying to adapt an existing design to your needs, which is fine. My guess is the auto watering device is an OK place to start, but to finish you need to drive this pump for the fertilizer.

Do you know the voltage & current the pump needs?

Do you know the switch the auto watering device has?

If you tell us both we can tell you if what you have is OK, or what you may need to hook A into B.

00reload00

Joined Dec 29, 2011
It sounds like you are trying to adapt an existing design to your needs, which is fine. My guess is the auto watering device is an OK place to start, but to finish you need to drive this pump for the fertilizer.

Do you know the voltage & current the pump needs?

Do you know the switch the auto watering device has?

If you tell us both we can tell you if what you have is OK, or what you may need to hook A into B.

I had done the auto watering device already.As my auto watering device is quite simple.It do with logic only.When it sense that the plant pot does not had any moisture,the pump will pump water from a pail of water and buzzer will ring.

So i want to add more feature on my project such as auto fertilizer device too.

The two circuits will work separately. If i use 9 V for the pump and 3 AA to control the circuit ,will it be sufficient enough? As for the current i not that sure....

I don't know what an 031 is. If you had a more popular MCU like a PIC then you might stand a better chance of getting help.

There is no need to find a schematic for a fertilizer. The schematic should be fairly simple. You first need to determine the power requirements of your pump.

But if all you want to do is turn the pump on and off then all you need is a simple off the shelf timer. If you want to measure levels, temperature, flow rates or whatever and turn the pump on and off based on those measurements then you will need a MCU.
Sorry about the error.It is 8031.I get what you mean.What i need is a MCU and a circuit to control the pump?But how to make it stop?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The 8031 is not the most popular MCU here but there are a few people on the forum that have used it so they may be able to help.

You said you did the auto watering device before. How did you get it to stop? You probably had a relay that turned the device in and off. Same would apply here. How you turn the relay off on and is going to depend on the size of the relay . If it is a small amount of current you are controlling (which is doubtful) then the MCU can drive the relay directly but you might need something like a MOSFET to turn the realy off and on.

As Ernie said there is nothing wrong with applying other technologies to this project.

00reload00

Joined Dec 29, 2011
Do you have any development tools for the 8031 chip. Like a device to program/debuig the chip
Ya.I do have a program to program/debug the chip.

The 8031 is not the most popular MCU here but there are a few people on the forum that have used it so they may be able to help.

You said you did the auto watering device before. How did you get it to stop? You probably had a relay that turned the device in and off. Same would apply here. How you turn the relay off on and is going to depend on the size of the relay . If it is a small amount of current you are controlling (which is doubtful) then the MCU can drive the relay directly but you might need something like a MOSFET to turn the realy off and on.

As Ernie said there is nothing wrong with applying other technologies to this project.
Yeah.I had a relay to control it. So it had the same concept with the auto watering device? But as for the schematics,will it be similar with the auto watering device i did?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Ya.I do have a program to program/debug the chip.

Yeah.I had a relay to control it. So it had the same concept with the auto watering device? But as for the schematics,will it be similar with the auto watering device i did?
Basically as long as the power requirements for the pump switches are the same.

00reload00

Joined Dec 29, 2011
Hi, regarding my project for the auto-fertilizing system, actually my school provide the MCU PIC18F4450.

I really need some help on how to start planning the schematic diagram for the auto-fertilizing system using this MCU.

Any kind soul who is willing to help? Your help is really much appreciated. Thank you.