Need help on component selection.

j3r

Joined Jan 9, 2011
I wanted to build an embedded module which can have up to 8 serial ports.

Is there any micro-controller or SoC that can connect up to 8 URATs or serial ports?

What i'm asking is not a COTS. I wan to have a hands-on building it myself.

If i have 8 UART controller chips, how can i connect it to a micro-controller? I guess at this monent, i have to do multiplex / demultiplex myself??

Thanks in advanced!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A UART such as the 8251A has buffering and read/write control pins that allow more than one to be connected in parallel to a micro-controller so you don't need a mux.

What is the maximum simultaneous data rate you want on each serial port?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
ST16C554/554D may be something for you. But if you want us to participate in your brain storming. You must give us much more details. Of what you want to do

j3r

Joined Jan 9, 2011
Basically, i want to build a serial to LAN/WAN/ZigBee

LAN would be by Wifi or Ethernet
WAN should be by HSPDA+ or GPRS or whatever
ZigBee as it stated, connects to a ZigBee coordinator.

Cheers!

Because, those i that i could find are very costly. Like 1k+ or something. I'm looking at a low end one, and very importantly to get my hands dirty.

Cheers!

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It's supposed to be an embedded module, so i suppose i should be using a MCU or SoC.
Any recommendations?
I guess this is a school project. But we do not mind helping students in this forum. Since you have been given this task. I am sure your school also will supply you with the needed development tools. Have you done any research about what kind of development equipment that will be available for your project. That is always a good start for any project.

j3r

Joined Jan 9, 2011
I guess this is a school project. But we do not mind helping students in this forum. Since you have been given this task. I am sure your school also will supply you with the needed development tools. Have you done any research about what kind of development equipment that will be available for your project. That is always a good start for any project.
Nah, it's neither a school nor commercial project. Although i'm an electronics graduate, i hardly touch any hardware from my 5 years of job. Well i'm a software engineer. But i want to build this as a form of home automation. Hence i got all the freedom.

I'm just not good at picking and sourcing which hardware to buy. And most site don't really put prices there. Element14 is the only place i been to.

Probably i want to start with a breadboard before going to PCB.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are trying to configure a home automation network, you would not use a serial multiplexer.
The first choice would be to go wireless.

If you prefer a wired system, use a RS-485 network. No multiplexer is required. You only need a single RS-485 port for each device. The controller will also only require one RS-485 port.

Last edited:

j3r

Joined Jan 9, 2011
If you are trying to configure a home automation network, you would not use a serial multiplexer.
The first choice would be to go wireless.

If you prefer a wired system, use a RS-485 network. No multiplexer is required. You only need a single RS-485 port for each device. The controller will also only require one RE-485 port.
I understand the concept of multi-drop systems. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

I just wanted develop an embedded module which has multiple interfaces. The interface that i'm looking at as of now is serial interface. Let say 4 RS232 ports which i want to connect some sensors, modems, etc.....

The module has a MCU which talks to the 4 RS232 ports. On the other hand, the MCU channels the communication through a TCP/IP channel let say port 5001 through an ethernet connection to my router.

My router will port forward any TCP port 5001 to this module.
Hence, i can talk to this module from anywhere on earth.

Hope i'm not demanding. I'm not good at sourcing hardware, SoC or MCU. Therefore i don't if already exist an MCU or SoC that has TCPIP stack and multiple UART support.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCED!