Need help on a small bluetooth based project.

mmpervar

Joined Nov 7, 2010
Got an idea for a small project. Thought it would be interesting to finish it/see it through. I did some searches and this wonderful forum popped out. I tried searching for my query but couldn't understand most of the terms being used. Consider my knowledge on circuitry nil. That's right, an outright newbie.

Been using a program which locks my computer whenever my cellphone goes out of range, i.e. when I walk out of the room. But Bluetooth being constantly on is draining the battery out of my cellphone.

So thought of creating a small device which transmits a Bluetooth signal every 5-10 seconds with a range of 10-15 feet supported by a small battery. I can have this in my pocket or as a key chain.

I might have a old blue tooth headset lying around. I can strip it can maybe assemble something but thinking of doing this from scratch.

Any suggestions on how I go about doing this? Thank you very much.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The key thing is to use this Bluetooth pinger thingy INSTEAD of your cellphone. I was confused until that dawned on me. Maybe it's just me, but you didn't make it crystal clear.

How about a cheap bluetooth mouse off e-bay? Probably under $5 and WAY easier than building something, if not as much fun.