Need Help-Old Electronics

ravensfan

Joined Oct 8, 2012
Before my father passed away he collected electronics. I have some Westinghouse and Weston ammeter's some are in Wooden boxes. I also have a CLAROSTAT 240-C POWER RESISTOR DECADE BOX 240C. Two Biddle Precision Laboratory Rheostat Lubri-Tact. I need help identifying what these are and what they may be worth.

I have taken some pictures with my camera and would like to upload them but I can not figure it out. When I click add image it asks for a URL, my pictures are on my laptop. How can I attach the pictures.

Thanks

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
...I have taken some pictures with my camera and would like to upload them but I can not figure it out. When I click add image it asks for a URL, my pictures are on my laptop. How can I attach the pictures.

Thanks
To add images to a post click on the "go advanced" reply button, click on "manage attachments" and upload the images through the dialog box that pops up.

ravensfan

Joined Oct 8, 2012
I have added some pictures. If anyone can tell me exactly what these are and what they may be worth I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on selling them and want to make sure I have an accurate description.

Before my father passed away he collected electronics. I have some Westinghouse and Weston ammeter's some are in Wooden boxes. I also have a CLAROSTAT 240-C POWER RESISTOR DECADE BOX 240C. Two Biddle Precision Laboratory Rheostat Lubri-Tact. I need help identifying what these are and what they may be worth.

I have taken some pictures with my camera and would like to upload them but I can not figure it out. When I click add image it asks for a URL, my pictures are on my laptop. How can I attach the pictures.

Thanks

Attachments

ravensfan

Joined Oct 8, 2012
I have added some pictures. If anyone can tell me exactly what these are and what they may be worth I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on selling them and want to make sure I have an accurate description.

Attachments

DMahalko

Joined Oct 5, 2008
All of your items have model numbers clearly visible. All you need to do is type the manufacturer name and model number into a search engine and you will find plenty of information about each one. (Don't bother with serial numbers.)

One of them says Westinghouse PY-5
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=westinghouse+"PY5"

You can also search ebay's "completed items" to see what similar devices have sold for in the past.

They're not really good for anything anymore except showpieces. Analog meters need occasional calibration, who knows how well these were handled. The water spot on the one label doesn't bode well for the health of the meter.

The wire connectors at the top of these meters are all fabulously dangerous, exposing the operater to the electricity being measured, with wires attached to the bare metal terminals, and with the exposed shunt selection terminals.

Similarly the tubular rheostats have no insulating guards or shields over the exposed windings and all you get is a tiny knob on top to hold, while sliding the contact point back and forth over live power.

Back in the day (1940's and earlier) it was assumed that if you got a shock or were injured or killed doing your job as an electrician using these tools, it was your own dang fault for being careless and stupid.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

Thanks
You have some real gems there. I'd buy them myself but I have a garage full of antique instruments already. I hope you find a good home for them.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Same here. I have loads of these already and no more space for any more.
But don't knock that 8Ω 8A rheostat. It's just the thing you need when you want to test out your 500W amplifier without blowing out your eardrums.