Need help naming an unknown "theorem"

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Al-Muhandis, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Al-Muhandis

    Thread Starter New Member

    Mar 10, 2010
    Hi, I've been searching for this "theorem" (see image below) for quite some time but haven't been able to find anything. I recall my professor showing us this and calling it a theorem but I seem to have misplaced that specific page of notes.

    An example is shown below. I know that it is obvious why it is valid but the trick is not as so (at least, not to me). The point is that you can transform the two current sources into voltage sources, reducing the circuit to two loops (from an initial three loops).

    There was also a voltage source dual of this but I cannot remember it, and it is actually this that I am after (since I already have the current source form).

    Please note that this is not at all homework help. I do desperately need this however, as I have an exam very soon. I realize that the circuit can be analyzed with just a small amount of extra work but my professor seems to be picky.

    The example:
    Thank you
  2. dsp_redux

    Active Member

    Apr 11, 2009
    Are you talking about Thevenin/Norton's theorem?
  3. The Electrician

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 9, 2007
    Why don't you ask your professor? The exam hasn't happened yet, so he should be willing to remind you. Or, ask one of your classmates.

    As to your exact question, I have a 1952 textbook by Wilbur LePage that describes the technique, but it doesn't have a name. It can be justified by the appropriate Kirchoff's law, but, as I said, he doesn't give a theorem name

    It's also possible to do the same thing with a voltage source; splitting the voltage source into two voltage sources.
  4. hobbyist

    AAC Fanatic!

    Aug 10, 2008
    Maybe "EQUIVALENT"???? where a curent source in parrallel with a resistor, is equivalent to a voltage source in series with a resistor.