Need Help! LED/ELwire circuiting project.

RobW

Joined Nov 16, 2008
Hey all,
I'm in desperate need of help. I'm an ID student at Georgia Tech working on my final project for this semester, and it involves some complicated (for me at least) circuiting that I didn't think a lot about before presenting my design proposition to my instructors. Now cost and time (5 days till its due) have got me scrambling for help, so if you can spare the time to figure this out, it will be GREATLY appreciated.

I need to wire up 6 blue ~2400mcd LEDs and a 5ft length of blue Electroluminescent wire to be controlled by a photoresistor (so dim to no light makes the lights very dim, but relatively bright light illuminated the lights to nearly full brightness). Also, I'd like for this circuit to be run off wall power as opposed to batteries. If needed, link to the power inverter page for EL wire: here. The LEDs and EL wire are going to be suspended in relatively heat-resistant transluscent silicone rubber, so heat shouldn't be a big issue, but I don't want to melt bulbs because my photoresistor allowed too much voltage.

If you could please let me know what I need to buy in terms of components and how to wire this system up (possibly a circuit diagram?), I will love you.

Many Thanks,
RobW

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I think the leds can be dimmed using a PWM circuit that responds to the light on the LDR.
I do not know if the EL wire can be dimmed.
It uses a special inverter and I do not know how it will react as you try to dim it.

Greetings,
Bertus