Need help in choosing micro-controller and software for buck-boost converter

king_falcon

Joined Apr 21, 2011
Hi, I'm making a 2 level interleaved pwm based buck-boost converter for my final year project. Can you suggest which micro-controller should I choose? I have experience with Arduino Uno and PIC 18f only (I have to run the circuit on 20kHz pwm and I need 2 pwm channels along with a 10 bit ADC).
Also, can you please tell me which software should I use for simulations and designing the circuit? I was thinking about Simulink or Multisim?
Thanks

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi, I'm making a 2 level interleaved pwm based buck-boost converter for my final year project. Can you suggest which micro-controller should I choose? I have experience with Arduino Uno and PIC 18f only (I have to run the circuit on 20kHz pwm and I need 2 pwm channels along with a 10 bit ADC).
Also, can you please tell me which software should I use for simulations and designing the circuit? I was thinking about Simulink or Multisim?
Thanks
Since you have experience with Arduino and PIC, pick one. When I hear that someone did a college level project with an Arduino, I can't help but think that they have no idea what they are doing. I say go with PIC(are you using the 18F4321?). It also helps your write-up if you address large-scale manufacturing capabilities, though this isn't absolutely necessary, it makes your engineering prowess stand out, and shows you can design on a budget for large-scale manufacturing...

I would go with Simulink, personally, since this is a control system, after all....

king_falcon

Joined Apr 21, 2011
Thanks for the reply. Yes al though I know how to work with pic18f46k20 but my supervisor advised to use dsPIC30F4011 as it can generate multiple PWMs with different duty ratios and time delays as I am making a 2 level interleaved converter. And yes, I am going with Simulink.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Yes al though I know how to work with pic18f46k20 but my supervisor advised to use dsPIC30F4011 as it can generate multiple PWMs with different duty ratios and time delays as I am making a 2 level interleaved converter. And yes, I am going with Simulink.
If memory serves me, there are some 18Fs with that same capability, but the dsPIC is probably better suited for the task, but are considerably more complex...

donpetru

Joined Nov 14, 2008
With a microcontroller attiny13 could solve the problem better than with that PIC microcontroller. But if you really want PIC microcontroller then ... this is.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
With a microcontroller attiny13 could solve the problem better than with that PIC microcontroller. But if you really want PIC microcontroller then ... this is.
What makes an Attiny13 a better choice?

Better!? I think you lobbed the first shot in a uC holy war. You are spared this time, but another blasphemous remark will warrant a (non-)verbal toungue(keyboard) lashing:D...

donpetru

Joined Nov 14, 2008
There is no point to use that PIC in a project where we can use a simpler and cheaper microcontroller like attiny13. By comparison, it's like telling someone you chose to buy a bus instead of a personal car to go home. You would seem correct that?

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
@tshuck, your comment is totally wrong.
I wasn't aware my comment said anything potentially wrong. Perhaps you can point that out. Was it were I said a dsPIC is more complex than a PIC? Or perhaps where I said that there are 18Fs that have two PWM channels? Perhaps instead of stating that my comment is wrong, you can back up your claim...

There is no point to use that PIC in a project where we can use a simpler and cheaper microcontroller like attiny13. By comparison, it's like telling someone you chose to buy a bus instead of a personal car to go home.
Considering the OP stated that he knows how to use Arduino and PIC, why would you suggest a new uC? Did you bother to read?

You would seem correct that?
...ummm....yes?