Status
Not open for further replies.

007trains

Joined May 20, 2011

Attachments

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
It appears that only one component is burnt and the others are just discolored from the burned one outgassing (or burning). My best guess is that its a tantalum capacitor, and using a DVM on the diode test setting, you can test the ones on either side and see if they are diodes.

Maybe somebody else can decode the value and voltage rating of the capacitor.

007trains

Joined May 20, 2011
Thanks for your input. I guess some of the components will need to be removed before they can be tested. I'll get onto it asap and post what I find. Also if anyone can decode the markings it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

007trains

Joined May 20, 2011

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You could send the image to ON Semiconductors and ask what they are.
That's where I was thinking. ON semi is still in business and they might answer. Meanwhile, you have half a dozen samples that are the same marking and not burnt. Do what tests you can for 2 legged devices, like, "diode? capacitor? zener?".

007trains

Joined May 20, 2011
That's where I was thinking. ON semi is still in business and they might answer. Meanwhile, you have half a dozen samples that are the same marking and not burnt. Do what tests you can for 2 legged devices, like, "diode? capacitor? zener?".
I'm gonna need to learn how to test them and i'll need to pull the board out again before i can test the components but if i don't get a response from ON semiconductors then thats what i'll have to do.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It appears that only one component is burnt and the others are just discolored from the burned one outgassing (or burning). My best guess is that its a tantalum capacitor, and using a DVM on the diode test setting, you can test the ones on either side and see if they are diodes.

Maybe somebody else can decode the value and voltage rating of the capacitor.
I use SMD tants a lot in size B/C/D and they look a bit different to that, also I have never seen an ON Semi brand tantalum, I though ON Semi only make semis?

A SMD cap marked 106 is very common (10uF) but I have never seen the cap value or marked code "146"! These seem to be all over the PCB which seems unusual to have 14uF tant caps everywhere...

Like you said a meter set to diode test would help a lot, but if we are guessing my vote goes for diode.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I thought shortbus gave you a precise identification with specifications in his link.
The datasheet he provided stated what MK represents for the power zeners, but the other designation (146) has no corresponding representation. For power zeners, the other designation is a 4 place alphanumeric code for location and the date of manufacture.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The 146 is probably a date or factory code. The link shows a component that looks identical. They use a letter code to give the identification, page #3 of the link breaks it down for you.

007trains

Joined May 20, 2011
The 146 is probably a date or factory code. The link shows a component that looks identical. They use a letter code to give the identification, page #3 of the link breaks it down for you.
So how do I determine its size. Would the dimensions of the component help?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

This thread has been reported for automotive modification.
This thread has been running to long already.

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

Quote:
6. Restricted topics.

The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This comes from our Tos:
Terms of Service
There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
Member selected automotive forums

Bertus