Need help identifying motor

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
See where it says 60Hz? No such thing on a DC motor. It also mentions one phase, and refers to line and neutral. Those are all AC terms. Also, it’s for a hot tub. I’m not aware of any battery-powered hot tubs!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor is a two pole AC induction motor.
Also the voltage is a little high for a Go Cart!
Also they do not control well on anything but 60Hz.
Max.

tylerbarlow41

Joined Feb 18, 2019
The motor is a two pole AC induction motor.
Also the voltage is a little high for a Go Cart!
Also they do not control well on anything but 60Hz.
Max.
Do you think it will work and get to a decent speed with the right gearing if this motor doesn’t work out I may go with the meo708. Do you know of any kind of throttle controller for this motor or would I just need a simple on off switch?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A go kart on a circular track with a 3/4 HP motor and an extension cord will be very boring after about 2 minutes. Connect that motor oo a pump and you can have an incredible squirt gun that will be a lot more interesting. But when using a mains powered motor with water, be certain to provide a GFCI device in a dry location as your power connection.

For an electric go kart you will need an integral horsepower brushless DC motor, suitable batteries, and a controller rated for the system voltage and current. These are readily available if you have the cash, and lots of it.The electric motorbikes in competition are very impressive and almost silent, at least compared to the 50HP 2-stroke screaming bikes that they are trying to replace.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A Brushed DC motor could also be used, as in the old fair ground bumper cars and Golf carts.
Not forgetting older locomotives also using series wound motors.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A Brushed DC motor could also be used, as in the old fair ground bumper cars and Golf carts.
Not forgetting older locomotives also using series wound motors.
Max.
Max, I did not wish to get the TS in too deep. A series wound DC motor of a few HP can be quite a handful with an across the line start.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is the minimum hp y’all think would work for me the attached picture is what I’m looking to achieve
For a top speed of 103 MPH you will probably need at least 8HP at the wheels, or more like 10 to 12 to get going quicker. 4 HP can get you to perhaps 45 MPH, which is quite exciting in a small go-kart. And with no gear shift the motor will need to REV quite a bit, fortunately many series DC motors can do that. probably a top speed of 4500 RPM will allow an adequate take off and still an adequate top end. But the issue of battery capacity remains, unless this is a dragster only running the quarter mile, or possibly the 1/8 mile, like drag bikes.

tylerbarlow41

Joined Feb 18, 2019
I was looking for about 20-30 minutes for some good track time still trying to figure out if it’s even possible on something somewhat small

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I was looking for about 20-30 minutes for some good track time still trying to figure out if it’s even possible on something somewhat small
What kind of track are you talking about, oval or straight line? As someone who in my youth got to drive a go cart on an oval track, even the 20 - 30 MPH a gas engine cart does is a scary experience. Close to the ground and no suspension get exciting fast. That 20-30MPH was on a banked paved race track, and the gas engine was making somewhere around 15HP.

And straight line ,like drag racing, the same things come into play. The bumping around you get from even a smooth looking paved surface at 100MPH will have you changing your under pants at the end of your ride.

The estimators like you showed don't take all things into consideration. So don't think what it tells you is real world.

tylerbarlow41

Joined Feb 18, 2019
What kind of track are you talking about, oval or straight line? As someone who in my youth got to drive a go cart on an oval track, even the 20 - 30 MPH a gas engine cart does is a scary experience. Close to the ground and no suspension get exciting fast. That 20-30MPH was on a banked paved race track, and the gas engine was making somewhere around 15HP.

And straight line ,like drag racing, the same things come into play. The bumping around you get from even a smooth looking paved surface at 100MPH will have you changing your under pants at the end of your ride.

The estimators like you showed don't take all things into consideration. So don't think what it tells you is real world.
I’m looking to build something stupid fast out of a mid size go kart on some smaller all terrain tires for trail riding I’ll try to find a picture of one