Need Help Identifying components(PIC included)

zastickyone

Joined Jan 9, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Please see the attached picture. I have 2 burnt SMD components (circled in red), I want to replace them, but I don't know what they are or their size. On one of them it says C6 - so I am guessing its a capacitor but don't know what size. Other one is labelled Q1, not sure what exactly that is. I would really appreciate if someone can please give me some direction on how to identify these components. Thanks....

Attachments

zastickyone

Joined Jan 9, 2012
Thanks...It's a control board from a western digital hard drive. I asked WD for the information and they are not willing to provide it. I guess that means I am out of luck?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I've swapped out boards from similar hard drives for long enough to get the data off.

If you have a similar drive, you can maybe use that for a trick. It's a good reason to not physically shred old drives, just run a dban wipe and keep the rest. You don't need a clean room for a board swap.

zastickyone

Joined Jan 9, 2012
I am looking into getting a replacement board, but it's an expensive option. I was able to locate another transistor chip on the board which I am pretty sure is identical to the one that's burnt. it says "3818R" Or "3B1BR", I have no idea what that means or where to find a replacement chip for that?

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I think that burnt 5pin black device may be a voltage regulator?

In which case if my guess is right, when it got destroyed that badly then any ICs downline after that are probably destroyed too. Sorry to say my guess is that the hard drive is toast.