need help identifying a part

gregkb2

Joined Jul 29, 2014
Here's the deal I have a mini metal lathe and it quit working the other day it keeps blowing the fuse when I turn it on I've narrowed it down to the board then realized there was a piece on it that looks burnt behind it I want to replace it (solder a new one in) but I don't know what its called to order it if someone could help me identify it I would appreciate it so much

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Does the photo show the burn that you refer to? It looks like something funky has happened there but I'm not convinced the part is bad just from that photo. You can remove it and see if it is shorted.

And of course it may have been burnt because something else failed.

gregkb2

Joined Jul 29, 2014
OK I took the screw loose and it doesn't look burnt on the back (I know that doesn't mean much) but I took a couple more pictures I just assumed it was that because it has that burnt look on the heatsink ts attached to and none of the others do could someone tell me how to test it if I take it off I have a multimeter but not sure what to do with it to test this thing. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!!!

Attachments

buteman

Joined Jan 5, 2014
Set your multimeter to a resistance range.
Connect one of the pins to the black meter lead and the other to the red lead. Note the meter reading.
Then connect the pins the opposite way round to the meter leads. Note the reading.
One way it should be a very high resistance and the other way it should be very low.
If both are high then it is faulty - open circuit.
If both are low then it is faulty - short circuited.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Many multimeters also have a diode test function. It's not much different than the test described by buteman, but it will report the millivolt drop across the diode when connected correctly. It should read 500±200mV.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Unless it is a PWM controller, there should also be two SCR's to check, these look the same as the Rectifiers but have 3 leads.
Is there a name on the controller?
Max.