Need help for a basic function

tubachris85x

Joined Oct 25, 2013
While I am fairly alright at simpler stuff, I'm still learning as I go with this side of the house..

I'm working on a replica prop star wars blaster which requires the following:

-Power: 9v---->Need both LEDs using one power source

-1 Blue LED---->wired to STSP; Must operate independently

-1 White LED--->wired to momentary/"trigger" switch; Must operate independently

The idea would be for me to be able to flip the STSP to turn on the Blue LED to keep it on, while being able to operate the white LED on it's own when pressing the momentary switch to simulate "firing" the blaster prop. I'd like to be able to have it all run off the 9v as it will save me considerable space.

I drew out a rough schematic, where it would be wired in parallel, however, it needs critiquing (attached)

Thank you in advance for any help...

-TC

Attachments

Last edited:

tubachris85x

Joined Oct 25, 2013
So you think it looks correct?

I did begin wiring/testing last night, though I think perhaps I did something wrong, as I could not get the LEDs to operate individually.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Other than spelling ohms wrong, the drawing makes sense. It should work. Post a photo of your wiring if you haven't got it working yet. LEDs backwards, maybe?

tubachris85x

Joined Oct 25, 2013
Other than spelling ohms wrong, the drawing makes sense. It should work. Post a photo of your wiring if you haven't got it working yet. LEDs backwards, maybe?
Sorry, didn't get but maybe 2-3 hours of sleep a night this week...my attention to detail is slacking at the moment.

As for the drawing, I *think* it's alright, though this has been my first wiring project where I've actually started creating a schematic to figure it out, so I apologize for the lack of formal knowledge.

I'll probably take everything apart tonight and start "fresh." As for the LEDs being backwards, I don't think they were, I tested each to determine +/- leads.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
How does shorting a battery look fine?:p

If you want to keep the GND label, remove the connection to +9V...

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Trying to refine the drawing...was doing some research on the site..not sure which one (or if both) will work
Both are valid, however, the logic of the left diagram shows that the the blue LED will come on when the switch is closed and the white will come on only when the switch and the button close the loop.

The one on the right describes the independent functionality you want...

tubachris85x

Joined Oct 25, 2013
Both are valid, however, the logic of the left diagram shows that the the blue LED will come on when the switch is closed and the white will come on only when the switch and the button close the loop.

The one on the right describes the independent functionality you want...
Roger. Looking at it, the leftside diagram (to me) now logically seems the best route, at least for this application, since the STSP will control the overall circuit, in of unwanted handling/use, or even storage of the prop, pressing the button switch won't do anything.

tubachris85x

Joined Oct 25, 2013
It looks very believable. Is the "well worn" finish intentional, or did it just not matter?
Intentional. This is one of the side arms for a Republic Commando costume for his son. I initially didn't intend to do this much weathering, but I felt it necessary to give it a real-world look. I was going for an "original trilogy" look. He essentially gave me creative freedom though as long as it didn't stray too far off from accuracy.

The center tube was from an acrylic tube which was sanded to give it the frosted appearance, then I placed a section of white light-diffusing plastic, which for the most part, eliminates the overall profile of the blue LED. I just wish I could have put a sound board and amp to give it that extra characteristic