Need help finding some more information

DICEPD

Joined Feb 7, 2011
Coming from this thread:
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=49599

I purchased another identical power supply and was able to figure out what part it was that went bad for sure:

NTC NTC1 5D-15, google finds zero information on this, nor could I find any relative information on the component. Radioshack offered no help, nor did the manufacture. We have local electronics repair shop but they were closed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is there any other place I could look for information? I know its used as a inrush limiting application, I run the power supply on 115v and it outputs 13.5v/30amps.

Dan

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I think that's an NTC thermistor. Dude, the datasheet was the first hit when I Googled NTC 5D-15.

Last edited:

DICEPD

Joined Feb 7, 2011
Well if you know it's bad, why not replace it with the same part? How do you know it's bad?
That is the good power supply, I have an identical one that the NTC was turned to dust. I am unable to find anything online to purchase a replacement, thats why I was asking here :)

DICEPD

Joined Feb 7, 2011
Thanks again,

Was able to cross-reference it to Digikey.com! Although they were 2 bucks a piece it probably saved me a bit :)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You may find that a new one will also blow immediately. That could be caused by (a) capacitor(s) going bad (shorted) or a MOSFET or switching transistor shorted out., or a reverse-ESR protection diode being shorted.

You might consider wiring a 6A fuse in series with it temporarily while you're testing it.

DICEPD

Joined Feb 7, 2011
I bought a few of them. That might be the case as well, but figured this is where I would start.

I had some thermistors that I had put in, which worked until I turned the load up. It would run about 3-4 amps of lights, fans, aux things.

I found the manual online said to not turn it on,off, and back on quickly when its been running a while, because it can destroy that particular component. Thats what I hope happened because thats exactly what I did :p I wasn't aware that would happen then lol