Need help drawing up circuitry for 120v auto chicken coop door.

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
I have a small AC motor that I want to use to open chicken coop door. (I know they're all over this site... But can't find my application). I want to wire one 15amp timer to turn on for one hour in the am to power the motor to open the door until reaches limit switch to shut off. Then use second timer to power motor for one hour in the eve to close door until door reaches limit switch to shut off. Not sure what relays or diodes are needed to accomplish this. Thanks to anybody for input!! This is for daughters 4H project.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Welcome to AAC!

Just curious, are you planning on using 110VAC? You will likely need a relay (or a solid state relay) to use with this.

I would be tempted to use a timer of some sort, something like a watch for example. Baring that I would be happy to draw something up you could use using photocells.

It is a pretty simple project electrical wise, the mechanics is a bit more complicated I would think. With your help I don't see any major problems.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
First, how are you reversing the AC motor direction? Reversing the leads as you can with a DC motor will not work.

Second, one hour to open and one hour to close sounds way too long.

I've posted several variations on a motor reverser, all based on a DC motor.

ak

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
A crank mechanism plus limit switches would enable the door to be opened and closed without having to reverse an AC motor. That would simplify the electronics.
I would avoid using a motor at mains voltage, unless you want your chickens ready-cooked :).

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
First, how are you reversing the AC motor direction? Reversing the leads as you can with a DC motor will not work.

ak
Thanks for reply! The motor I have is from a brand new grill rotisserie for a grill I no longer have. It's incredibly slow, but I figured I really didn't care too much about the speed. I have a thread made up for the door to travel up and down. Also have two limit switches that are rated for 15 amps and up to 480 v AC.

Welcome to AAC!

Just curious, are you planning on using 110VAC? You will likely need a relay (or a solid state relay) to use with this.

I would be tempted to use a timer of some sort, something like a watch for example. Baring that I would be happy to draw something up you could use using photocells.

It is a pretty simple project electrical wise, the mechanics is a bit more complicated I would think. With your help I don't see any major problems.
Thanks for reply! I have two timers that I'm planning to use. Digital timers. I'm just not too sure what relays, etc would be needed to make it so that one kick on in the am to open window. The other kicks on in the evening to close. I also already have two 15 amp limit switches rated for up to 480 v AC. I've already got the mechanics made up..... The door will travel up and down a threaded rod to open/close. The motor I have is from a grill rotisserie I no longer have any use for.... So I figured, may as well use it. Thanks again!!

Welcome to AAC!

Also, the motor is self reversing. Every time it is powered up, it starts in opposite direction of travel.

ak
Also, forgot to mention... The motor I have is auto reversing. Every time the motor is energized it automatically starts in opposite direction of travel. Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Herndon7468

Joined Mar 2, 2016
You need an "appliance timer".
http://www.beeslighting.com/v/vspfiles/assets/files/Intermatic/intermatic-tn311-sellsheet.pdf

9.95 at your nearest Lowe's depot wally mart target store.
OK. Have timers. Just not sure how to get the power from the timers to work with the limit switches without energizing each other (back feeding) when both limit switches are open. At some point the hot wires coming from the limit switches are going to be tied together at the motor. Could use two current blocking diodes between switches and motor? Forgive my ignorance.

Is your motor a capacitor run type or synchronous, any model numbers, you would be better to use a DC motor?
A crank mechanism plus limit switches would enable the door to be opened and closed without having to reverse an AC motor. That would simplify the electronics.
I would avoid using a motor at mains voltage, unless you want your chickens ready-cooked :).
What DC gear motor would you recommend? The motor turns a threaded rod to run the door up and down. Need something able to raise/lower a window. Something with plenty of torque but not too many rpm. Thanks boss!

Was considering using a DC gear motor from Amazon. High torque/lower rpm. Question I have is how many rpm would you recommend to turn a 3/8" threaded rod to raise a vinyl window without blowing the window out of the casing? I'm thinking slower may be better also so chickens have time to make escape, not to get closed in the damn thing... Lol. But fast enough that if I need it to open/close manually, it doesn't take all day.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
With a self-reversing motor this becomes pretty simple. An impulse relay is an electromechanical toggle flipflop. Each time it is activated the armature moves to the other position and latches there mechanically, so it holds the electrical contact after energy is removed from the coil. For your application the coil could be pulsed for only 1 second and the motor would run until it hit a limit switch. Then the next relay pulse switches to the other electrical path with a closed switch and the motor runs until that switch opens.

In your case relay power and motor power are the same, so the coil is activated for the whole hour.

ak
MotorReverseSwitch-AC-1-c.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
To wire the limit switches you need two relays that both feed the motor. The limit switches are part of the relay coil circuit. When one is reached that relay coil is opened.
The relays must me cross connected through a set of contacts.
Your close door relay will send power to the motor through the non active relay contacts of the open door relay and vice versa. I have a simple two relay diagram in mind but I can't sketch it from this phone, it will have to wait until this evening.