Need help deciphering the mechanical layout of this enclosure

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm ordering this enclosure (railtec B Version V, part # B6504110) from okwenclosures. The datasheet shows layouts of version I - V with dimensions. The version V that I'm getting is the model with screw holes spaced every 5mm.

Here is an excerpt from the datasheet (see link to datasheet for all the diagrams other than the ones I copy/pasted) with my questions on it:

Why the disparity?
It shows on the PCB diagram (right) that holes should be spaced 5mm apart, in groups of 8, with a 12.5mm gap in the center, but the holes in the enclosure are in groups of 16, with no gap in the center. It seems if I followed the plan for the PCB, my terminals would not line up with the holes in the enclosure.

Why 2 holes?/Is it 74mm, 74.4, or 77.6?
I've never seen a terminal with 2 touching posts, requiring 2 touching holes. the terminals I'm using show the screw being nearly on top of the post (but can't really tell) so I would think I should space them 74mm apart so they fall directly under the holes in the enclosure, but they're providing info that makes me second guess that.

What are these for?
There's a second row of holes inside the holes for the terminals with so explanation I can see. I don't know if I need to plan for these holes on my PCB or if I can omit them.

Are these for mounting the PCB to the enclosure?
That's my best guess.

Thanks.

Attachments

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Why the disparity?
It shows on the PCB diagram (right) that holes should be spaced 5mm apart, in groups of 8, with a 12.5mm gap in the center, but the holes in the enclosure are in groups of 16, with no gap in the center. It seems if I followed the plan for the PCB, my terminals would not line up with the holes in the enclosure.
Not sure what is going on there. Could just be some generic layout or something to allow for more connection points.

strantor said:
Why 2 holes?/Is it 74mm, 74.4, or 77.6?
I've never seen a terminal with 2 touching posts, requiring 2 touching holes. the terminals I'm using show the screw being nearly on top of the post (but can't really tell) so I would think I should space them 74mm apart so they fall directly under the holes in the enclosure, but they're providing info that makes me second guess that.

What are these for?
There's a second row of holes inside the holes for the terminals with so explanation I can see. I don't know if I need to plan for these holes on my PCB or if I can omit them.
These are probably for different types of connectors like right angle, plug type, or different manufacturers. I have seen some where the through hole post is offset more from the screw. The plug type are also generally larger as well.

strantor said:
Are these for mounting the PCB to the enclosure?
That's my best guess.

Thanks.
That would be my guess as well. Looking at the drawing of the base it seems there are some posts that line up with those two holes.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well I've been back and forth with OKW enclosures for the past week and they've been very helpful and provided a few more drawings with explanations, but still cannot explain the 12.5mm gap. The last email said this:
This was a tentative drawing / sketch and the proper drawing is still in the works. The Germans buy these from an outside source and are at the mercy of their suppliers’ documentation.
Which makes them beside themselves with frustration. Please accept their apologies for them having to clean up someone else’s mess. If possible, I would wait until you have the physical case in your hands to be sure.
So I guess this means the enclosures are coming from China, through Germany, to me, with the design still "up in the air". Not a good feeling. If they can't explain it, then it makes me wonder if any of the dimensions are correct...

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Welcome to the wonderful world of dealing with China.. Its a PITA.. trust me.
Its one of the many reasons many companies are "On-shoring" or moving all the stuff they just moved to China back to the states or whatever.
No one knew about the added costs of the lack of communication.

As a product design engineer myself MANY times we add extra holes/brackets,etc.. to standardize parts across multiple product lines,etc...

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
hopefully that's not the case for all of their products.. They had some interesting stuff in their online catalog.. When it's time to find a case for my own project I'll see if I can find a place that has products made here in the USA.. :D -- one of my peeves.. Sorry!

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
hopefully that's not the case for all of their products.. They had some interesting stuff in their online catalog.. When it's time to find a case for my own project I'll see if I can find a place that has products made here in the USA.. :D -- one of my peeves.. Sorry!
Yes when I first discovered OKW enclosures my thoughts were along the lines of Brownout's tagline:
My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention. ~Hedley Lamarr
I'm still aroused by their products, albeit lesser than before, but likewise I sure wish they were made in America. If anybody knows where I can get stuff like this from USA, let me know.

osx-addict

Joined Feb 9, 2012
Strantor.. One quickie google search for "usa made electronic enclosure" brought a link to http://simcobox.com/ which claims (albeit minutely) that they're made in the USA at the very bottom of the page..

If you've got REALLY deep pockets and need to fab up a very custom PC checkout one of these... Yes, a bit OT.. But it looks really cool!!

Here's another place that I believe is located here in So-Cal (LaVerne to be specific).. Their site does not indicate if their stuff is made in the USA or not but Google seemed to think so care of a 3rd party site.. Here's another one -- I think in Ohio..

Here's one more -- proudly displaying Made in the USA! Seems like a smaller place though

Personally, I think the last link directly above looks promising for small batches -- but only if they've got a box that might work for your project!