Need help calculating magnetic coil power specs

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
I am planning on rolling an electromagnetic coil using Magnet Wire, Enameled Copper Wire, 14 AWG, 10 pounds, 0.0655" Diameter, Red. - This will just be one large round coil basically. I need a transformer to power this with maximum amps/power/voltage that a 10 pound coil with these specs will support without overheating.

I eventually need/want a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) to power this coil, but a Transformer with 40 hertz OUTPUT will work for now (whatever is cheaper as I'm short on cash).

Would someone provide me with the specs and equipment with links so I can purchase what i need for this? Im a software developer, not an electrical guy so I'm new to all of this. thank you for your help!

Nate

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Where are you located that you have 40hz?
" but a Transformer with 40 hertz OUTPUT will work for now "

It may be hard to find a vfd for single phase.

What is the application? You may get more help if you allow a little flexibility on design.

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
im in the New York City area so input is standard 60 hertz. but i need to bring the 'output' hertz via the coil to generate a 40 hertz wave, so i need a conversion to take place via some device like a transformer or VFD.

I found some specs online that said 12 AWG will support 41 open air amps? does this sound correct? how many volts would a 10 pound coil require to power this?

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
also, once i wrap this large 10 pound coil... what do i coat the coil with so it stays together and does not unravel when i take it out of its rolling container?

can i coat the coil in some acrylic paint so it hardens and won't unravel? what would i use for some thing like that?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
open air amps and amps when wound into a multilayer coil are different. a multi layer coil holds the heat in and cant handle as much current as open air wire. you should probably figure on 20 or so amps max.

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
Thank you for the explanation alfacliff! its very important for me to get these things figured out so i can accomplish this project. much appreciated to both of you, InWo, thank you as well :)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why do you need 40 Hz, and what is the purpose of this coil? I for one want to know what you intend this thing to do because I think you have expectations that will be difficult to meet.

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
i am doing experiments on the effect of different frequency waves on living tissue. that is why I'm needing a VFD and lower hertz than is commonly used. the end result is the wave frequency produced by the coil.

What can I use on the coil to coat it so it does not fall apart after rolling it? is there something that holds it together cause i don't want to tie it. I'm thinking of using some acrylic bases clear coat? can you guys please point me in the right direction for this?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm interested in knowing what kind of "living tissue" you might be referring to and what kind of results you expect to discover or confirm. Even though some kinds of experiments can be performed, it does not mean that they should be performed. In particular I'm not sure the output of a typical VFD is what you want or need.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
A "transformer" doesn't transform frequency; only voltage and current. The output from a transformer with 60Hz connected to its primary is at 60Hz.

A VFD is an expensive electronic frequency converter usually used to speed-control an AC induction motor. Such a motor connected directly to 60Hz would turn at an rpm closely related to the line frequency. These things are usually rated at hundreds of V and many kW.

Methinks you need a simple audio signal generator, with possibly an (audio) isolation transformer between the sig gen and the sample...

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
Here is a link from amazon of a VFD I am looking at: http://www.amazon.com/Sanven-Freque..._sbs_hi_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BG6TQGYFVDDH7XM31VH

the main thing to look at on this page is the Outpute Frequency: 0 to 400 Hz as shown.

My goal is to have an output frequency from the electromagnetic coil that can operate at my choosen, variable setting. In other words.. this changes the actual wave of the magnetism correct??? or am i incorrect on this?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
i am doing experiments on the effect of different frequency waves on living tissue. that is why I'm needing a VFD and lower hertz than is commonly used. the end result is the wave frequency produced by the coil.

When you say "different frequency waves" you mean a time varying magnetic field? How did you arrive at your coil design?

For 40 Hz, you may be able to produce much stronger magnetic fields using more turns of thinner wire- at a lower current value, resulting in simpler and cheaper electronics.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
There was just a thread about a cheap sine wave inverter. Where the link showed changing the frequency a bit.

I wonder if an inverter hack would be an option.

I believe it will be hard to get a standard vfd to output single phase. As single phase protection is built in.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Here is a link from amazon of a VFD I am looking at:
My goal is to have an output frequency from the electromagnetic coil that can operate at my choosen, variable setting. In other words.. this changes the actual wave of the magnetism correct??? or am i incorrect on this?
That is one of the Chinese Huanyang VFD's, not that high a quality item!
Also a VFD does not output a 'clean' sine wave, it has a high frequency PWM content.
It also may not take kindly to only using 2 phases for 1 phase, if it does work, then a series choke would be advised to take the high frequency content out, as is the common practice when using a 3ph motor.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For an electric field, you don't need a coil, just plates at different voltages. You can generate a magnetic field with a coil, but to do any meaningful experiment you need to define the volume of the "treatment area", the field strengths you hope to achieve in that volume, and the frequency range you want to cover. In other words we need specifications.

You should realize that coil geometry, the presence and properties of a core, and other factors will affect the field strength and the shape of the field lines. For instance a gapped toroid can produce an intense, defined field very efficiently.

I assume your goal is not to just pulse current through a wire, but to get the biggest magnetic "bang" for your buck?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is also the case that a VFD usually does not output a sine wave, but a modified stair step approximation. Were you aware of this?

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
When you say "different frequency waves" you mean a time varying magnetic field?
Yes, I'm talking about a time varying magnetic field I believe, or as i understand it, the output frequency, hertz! where the wavelengths are different because of the frequency change, (example 0 to 400 hertz). another example is its kinda like the energy wavelengths from the Sun or the waves/magnetic field produced from a strong neodymium magnet.

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
I assume your goal is not to just pulse current through a wire, but to get the biggest magnetic "bang" for your buck?
Correct! this is a constant magnetic wave on the tissue for an extended amount of time.

The thing i need is the make sure the VFD and my rolled coil will output the different wavelengths through the copper coil... hence the 0 to 400 hertz range which will make the magnetic field generated operate at different wavelength, like faster/slower waves per second kinda thing. isn't that what the frequency range changing does?

does this logic sound correct? i think it is. and can it be done with the VFD link from amazon.com that i posted? i think it can be? or am I wrong?

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
Methinks you need a simple audio signal generator, with possibly an (audio) isolation transformer between the sig gen and the sample...
Just to confirm, no, I'm not doing anything with audio signaling. this is the equivelent of putting a large neodymium magnet on tissue, the frequency output from a neodymium magnet operates at an earth frequency. this is an example of what I'm talking about. :)

ElectromagnetNewbee

Joined Jul 13, 2014
To better communicate what I'm trying to experiment with please watch this short 5 min youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLMG1flT-zs&list=PL7LVi7WA7MkfJisbPhvLdyQmxmoFqlEQU

the concept in this video is what you need to take away for things I'm trying to do. Cell phones, TVs, Computer monitors AM radio, FM radio all produce harmful electromagnetic frequencies to the body. I'm researching frequencies that may be helpful to the body (like strong neodymium magnets but in electric coil form). this is why i am experimenting and collecting data on this. trying to find a healing frequency my friends :)