Need help boosting voltage

jellytot

Joined May 20, 2014
OK, so I have a device that runs off 1 Watt / 12Volts. I want it to run off batteries, so currently I have 9 AA batteries in series powering it. But I want the device to be portable, to use 2 AAs and using [something] to boost the voltage to the required 12 Volts. Not sure if this is important, but the device is a micro-solenoid used intermittently, a fraction of a second on and 10 seconds off (and repeat).

Requirements: The solution of something should be compact, breadboard-able (DIP or through-hole package like TO-220) and easy to implement (I'm a electronics newbie).

Options I've discovered so far:
1) Get a DC-DC step-up switching regulator. I found 2 that may work, but they have 5 pins and I have no idea what to do with them.
2) Use a linear regulator like 7805 and use Zener Diodes to boost the output voltage.
3) Build a step-up convertor using inductors/capacitors/transistors. There are alot of examples out there but I don't know the math involved to get the desired output voltage from my input voltage.

I'm looking for a simple solution for my problem. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks for reading this post!

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
12 volt, 1 watt, running that much off a boost convertor and 2 double a batteries wont run very long. you will still need to get one watt out of 2 AA batteries, thats a bit much.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
12 volt, 1 watt, running that much off a boost convertor and 2 double a batteries wont run very long. you will still need to get one watt out of 2 AA batteries, thats a bit much.
The OP stated it is a short duty-cycle, so it may be doable depending upon the exact value of the duty-cycle and a large capacitor across the batteries.