need help- basic understanding-first post on forum

simpleman76

Joined Mar 7, 2009
I am currently trying to study for the fcc element 3 exam, but I really need a good refresher and basic radio circuit operation and design. I do have some basic electronics training as pertaining to aviation. I am studying with the fcc study guide but am having a hard time with some of the components that are called out in the study guide and I am not necessarily wanting to commit the answers to memory just to pass the test, I would like to learn and understand more about radio circuit theory and the components, I am wondering if someone knows of a good book that I can get that will give me a good basic understanding of radio operation and explain some of the terms used in the study guide as pertaining to the components, without having to have a degree in trigonometry, but with a good simple explanations that will help me understand the in's and out's of radio operation and make the study guide make more sense, I am not looking to be an expert in radio operation but I am looking to be a lot more knowledgible and have a good understanding of the how's and why's, I looked at amazon, but there is so much material to choose from I am not sure of which book to get, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

digitalmind

Joined Mar 7, 2009
I am currently trying to study for the fcc element 3 exam, but I really need a good refresher and basic radio circuit operation and design. I do have some basic electronics training as pertaining to aviation. I am studying with the fcc study guide but am having a hard time with some of the components that are called out in the study guide and I am not necessarily wanting to commit the answers to memory just to pass the test, I would like to learn and understand more about radio circuit theory and the components, I am wondering if someone knows of a good book that I can get that will give me a good basic understanding of radio operation and explain some of the terms used in the study guide as pertaining to the components, without having to have a degree in trigonometry, but with a good simple explanations that will help me understand the in's and out's of radio operation and make the study guide make more sense, I am not looking to be an expert in radio operation but I am looking to be a lot more knowledgible and have a good understanding of the how's and why's, I looked at amazon, but there is so much material to choose from I am not sure of which book to get, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Please don't take my word for it, since I know practically nothing in this area, but I found this book to be interesting supplementary reading (e.g. with the ARRL Handbook) when browsing through the library:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Radio-Signals-Work-Sinclair/dp/0070580588/ref=pd_sim_b_1

How Radio Signals Work by Jim Sinclair. Maybe an understanding of radio signals along with the specifics of what you need to learn might "mesh together" quite nicely.

Again, I don't have a ham radio licence, so please be sceptical. It might be interesting to read but not helpful at all.

Good luck in your quest for understanding, not just being able to rote memorise stuff.