need help asap plz about pzt

pt200323

Joined Aug 11, 2013
1. An equipment manufacturer would like to precisely control the displacement of an objective lens (weighing 50g) using a computer controlled actuator. A piezoelectric ceramic and an electrostrictive ceramic (Table A1a) have been short listed along with four actuator designs each based on stacks of 15 mm diameter ceramic discs (Table A1b). The manufacturer has specified that the actuator must be controlled by a DC drive voltage with a maximum range of -5000V to +5000V and must be able to give at least 50 m of linear motion. You have been asked to carry out a critical evaluation to select the most suitable combination of material and actuator design for the current application. You must use the data provided along with your knowledge of the piezoelectric effect and the electrostrictive effect to carry out this analysis;

a) The discs in the actuator stacks can either be wired together in series or in parallel. Which method of wiring should be used for the piezoelectric and the electrostrictive displacement actuator stacks? Justify your answer.

b) You initially have 8 possible actuator options (4 piezoelectric and 4 electrostrictive) to consider. Your first task is to carry out a preliminary analysis of the actuators and eliminate any that are not suitable for the current application. You must justify why you have eliminated each actuator.

c) After your initial analysis, you should still have one or more piezoelectric actuators and one or more electrostrictive actuator options available. Create a table comparing the generic properties of piezoelectric materials with the generic properties of electrostrictive materials. For each property, clearly indicate if it is good or bad for the current application.

d) Which of the remaining actuators would you recommend for the current application? Justify your selection.

thanks very much for your help if you could get me the answer of b part i think is good engh but if you could do the whole i dont know how could i appreciate it

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Here is what you need to turn in for part b:

B) It is impossible for me to determine which actuators will and won't work because I can't get anyone to do my work for me.

pt200323

Joined Aug 11, 2013
there is hint for part b

(I know you are clown and funny joey999 and i know wbahn you very smart and arrogant and dont need any help from others or consult with anybody, but at least you could guide a person by saying for example pzt actuator stacked in parallel and depends on # of disk and thickness, on the other hand, electrostrictive is..... then eliminate this and that. next calculate this... and blah blah)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
there is hint for part b

(I know you are clown and funny joey999 and i know wbahn you very smart and arrogant and dont need any help from others or consult with anybody, but at least you could guide a person by saying for example pzt actuator stacked in parallel and depends on # of disk and thickness, on the other hand, electrostrictive is..... then eliminate this and that. next calculate this... and blah blah)
pt200323, you need to read the rules of the "homework help" forum. You are required to make an attempt at the questions yourself and SHOW YOUR WORK. Otherwise you will not receive ANY help here, as you are not following the rules. Nobody is being arrogant, you just need to give us something before we can give you something. In this case, you need to give us your previous attempts. It's that simple.

Matt

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
there is hint for part b

I don't think wbahn is arrogant, but he is quite annoyed that students believe that there is a site called "Get an A you don't deserve since we will do your homework." Unfortunately I know very little about pzt and electrostrictive material.
To get a start on B, I would determine the amount of deflection one disk would provide with the maximum voltage and then see if I could eliminate any because there is not enough distance or power.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
there is hint for part b

In other words, you want to be spoon fed absolutely everything so that you don't have to think or understand anything.

Since this is YOUR homework problem, you need to start by making some indication of an honest attempt to work at least parts of YOUR homework. You shouldn't be expecting someone else to explain to you what these different actuators are, instead you should be saying stuff like, "My understanding is that a pzt actuator behaves like this ..., while an electrostrictive actuator behaves like this...." Let us see to what degree you understand the concepts, which will also let us see where you are falling short of that understanding. You might also describe what the meaning of each of the entries in the first table is and how (or whether) is relates to your problem.