Need guide: Surveillance Mobile Robot (Microcontroller & RF Module)

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
This is our senior year final project. The surveillance mobile robot having a wireless webcam will be controlled by a desktop computer/laptop. We will be using Microchip's MRF24J40MB Transceiver Modules on the main controller and on the mobile robot.

Can you help us on our first step? We would like to light a LED by a push button. There's no computer involved yet but only microcontrollers.

This is the setup.

1st Side:
RF transceiver (transmitter)
PIC16F877A
push button

2nd Side:
RF transceiver (receiver)
PIC16F877A
LED

We don't have any idea yet on the schematic. We already know how to program in microcontrollers using PIC Assembly but not yet on USART. I hope you can help us out? or suggest?

Last edited:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
In essence, the process is just like sending some command over a serial cable. If you can send the code n the press of the button, and the other PIC can receive the code and light the LED, you're most of the way there.

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
In essence, the process is just like sending some command over a serial cable. If you can send the code n the press of the button, and the other PIC can receive the code and light the LED, you're most of the way there.
Can you help us on the schematic and the coding?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
This is our senior year final project.
Surely you must have learned something in the past years. So I explained how to see the process of sending the information as that first step.

Asking for the completed project is not reasonable. The process is to get the data sheets for all ICs involved and determine how to write the code. Your tranceivers will have a data sheet that will explain how to connect them to the PICs - they probably have a built-in interface that will work.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'd get the computer involved at the earliest stage. It's a lot easier to see what has been transmitted on the screen than with a PIC and an LED. You can just use Realterm or similar until the computer software gets written. You just need a MAX232 or ST232 chip.
There's some code that communicates via serial here:
There's a lot of other stuff in there so maybe a simpler example would be better.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=40875

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
I'd get the computer involved at the earliest stage. It's a lot easier to see what has been transmitted on the screen than with a PIC and an LED. You can just use Realterm or similar until the computer software gets written. You just need a MAX232 or ST232 chip.
There's some code that communicates via serial here:
There's a lot of other stuff in there so maybe a simpler example would be better.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=40875
What do you mean Markd77? I can't fully understand what you're sayaing above sorry :(. Do you mean I will eliminate the side where there is RF receiver, PIC and LED first?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Yes, I'd start with just the sending PIC connected to the PC, as soon as you are sure that works, try PIC -> tranciever modules -> PC.
Once that works you can confidently program the reciever PIC.

If you do it without the PC, then if the red light doesen't go on you can't tell where the problem is.

lloydi12345

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Yes, I'd start with just the sending PIC connected to the PC, as soon as you are sure that works, try PIC -> tranciever modules -> PC.
Once that works you can confidently program the reciever PIC.

If you do it without the PC, then if the red light doesen't go on you can't tell where the problem is.
Thanks.. Okay I'll try to use that kind of software but first I'll have to study mikroC at the same time assembly. I'll just post here when I'm now on the communication part.