need advice

Atlantic

Joined Sep 12, 2009
I have a mini barn. Insulated and vented. It houses 4 hens. (Chickens)
I have an extension cord running to the "coop" Inside, I have a heat lamp.
I don't want it running all the time. I am forgetful and don't wish to harm the 4 ladies. I saw on ebay a plug/outlet which would sense the temp and turn the power on to whatever was plugged into it, In my cas the light, when te temp dropped below 35, and turn off when the temp rose above 47. Reasonable parameters. I don't know if the product exists or I dreamed it. I no longer see it on ebay. Can anyone provide a link to where I could buy such a thing (preferably in Canada) or an idea of your own which might work in a similar fashion. Money is an issue so the best deal available. Thanks.
Chris

rickmartin

Joined Sep 26, 2009
If you are comfortable working with a soldering iron and understand how comparators work, and know how to drive power relays using low signal voltages, you could use two of the Ramsey temperature sensor kits interfaced to comparators that feed a digital flip-flop that in turn drives a transistor switch that controls a power relay. The power relay would be wired to control power to your heat lamp. These Ramsey kits run about $20/ea and another $50 should get you all you need to complete the project, including a case. If all that sounds like a Russian speaking French, you might want to Google for green house temperature control products.