Need advice on how to speed control 4.25HP treadmill motor w/o MC2100 MCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCB_PICNIC

Joined Mar 4, 2021
Just have to say at the outset that this forum is pretty awesome, and everyone is so patient with noobs (like me).

I’m a woodworker looking to put to use the treadmill motor I harvested from my wife’s never-used treadmill. It’s a 4.25HP pmdc motor, cont duty at 130vdc/3171 watts.

I had the MC2100 Rev B MCB but it ended up getting tossed out on a rubbish cleanup day. I’ve dredged the web and it seems that I could create a speed control setup for the motor by using a 10,000w SCR, 10kohm potentiometer, a KBPC5010 bridge rectifier, and a heavy duty motor choke to have the ability to speed control the motor for use in a lathe or band saw-type application, or to beef up my wimpy table saw motor.

I’m a little hesitant to buy all those items, in large part because I have so little knowledge in the area.

1) is it possible to successfully control the speed of the motor without the MC1000?
2) am I on the right track with the above list of components?
Thanks I’m advance for any help and direction!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The SCR control is rather crude and you may not be satisfied with the type of control for a spindle etc.
The MC2100 is controlled by a PWM signal into the HD2 socket, the motor control is also PWM.
I recently made up some Picmicro boards to control these with input for Stop, Start and Speed control.
The MC1000 is a different board with different input control.
Max.

PCB_PICNIC

Joined Mar 4, 2021
The SCR control is rather crude and you may not be satisfied with the type of control for a spindle etc.
The MC2100 is controlled by a PWM signal into the HD2 socket, the motor control is also PWM.
I recently made up some Picmicro boards to control these with input for Stop, Start and Speed control.
The MC1000 is a different board with different input control.
Max.
Thanks Max! I realized after posting that I typo’d the MC1000...meant MC2100 ‍♂ So could the boards you made directly connect to the motor or would they still need the MC2100?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
They are intended to connect into the HD2 socket of the MC2100 in order to control the board and supply the PWM control frequency that is controlled by a pot input on the Microchip.
Max.

PCB_PICNIC

Joined Mar 4, 2021
They are intended to connect into the HD2 socket of the MC2100 in order to control the board and supply the PWM control frequency that is controlled by a pot input on the Microchip.
Max.
Ok. Sounds like there’s no way to use this motor without the MC2100, unless I’m missing something.

If it’s not too much trouble, could you help me understand how the process happens as electricity moves from 110AC->SCR->Pot->Bridge Rectifier/VDC>choke->motor and yields what appears to be a speed controlled dc motor that so many people have succeeded in repurposing for wood shop shtuff?
I’ve been trying to figure it out for six months and everyone seems to do their setup slightly different, but successfully in the end, and I’d hate to give up on this 4.25HP motor but I’m kind of at the point where I’m needing a solution or to move on and put aside the DIYer on this treadmill motor hangup I’ve been on

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There are other solutions, such as the simple Triac controller for power tools and place a bridge rectifier on the output between it and the motor.
This is essentially nothing more than a simple 'dimmer' Triac style circuit for AC power tools, and just requires a 25A min. bridge rectifier on the output to drive the D.C. T.M. motor, but the control is rather crude, especially at the low RPM range.
The MC-60 and MC1000 use a simple pot to attach to the board.
The boards I have made for the MC2100 , I have supplied to some for my cost +p/p.
Max.

PCB_PICNIC

Joined Mar 4, 2021
There are other solutions, such as the simple Triac controller for power tools and place a bridge rectifier on the output between it and the motor.
This is essentially nothing more than a simple 'dimmer' Triac style circuit for AC power tools, and just requires a 25A min. bridge rectifier on the output to drive the D.C. T.M. motor, but the control is rather crude, especially at the low RPM range.
The MC-60 and MC1000 use a simple pot to attach to the board.
The boards I have made for the MC2100 , I have supplied to some for my cost +p/p.
Max.
I can’t wait to try your suggestion! Thank you so much Max!

Given the 4.25HP cont duty @ 130vdc/3171 watts pull, are there certain parameters the triac should have?
Would this one work well? Amazon Triac
(AC 110V 120V 220V 230V 10000W High Power SCR Motor Speed Controller Voltage Regulator Dimming Attemperation Thermoregulation Board)

A variac and a bridge rectifier also works well for these motors. Bear in mind they are not designed for direct-on-line starting. You'll have to either remember to set the speed control to zero and ramp it manually each time you start it or obtain a speed controller with soft-starting capabilities built in. Applying 120VDC at a dead stop will likely result in a tripped breaker.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Thx so much Max! I’ll order them and look forward to bringing the monstah to life! What can I order or send you for the MaxPak of knowledge you gave me?
If you ever need one of the MC2100 controllers, send me a P.M..
Also make sure you remove the flywheel if the motor still has it.
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.