Need a wee bit advice re light switch

bonnieboat

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Hello

I bought one of those PIR sensor auto light switches for our common hallway. It is CE marked ok and from a reputable seller but am a bit confused by its connection markings?

There are 3 connections on the switch L N and L'

I am in the UK and used to seeing L N and E

Ok so

N = Blue
L = Brown

so is the L' my green and yellow protected earth ?

Thanks and sorry to trouble with what is probably a daft quesiton....

BB

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I think the L' is the switched Line to the light.
If the circuit has no exposed metal parts then it doesn't need a "protected earth" wire.
The Neutral connects to the PIR and to the light.

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
audioguru is quite right.....the l1 connection will be for fitting a switch so if you want you can switch the light on regardless of the pir sensor...HERES HOW TO WIRE IT.....

Attachments

bonnieboat

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Thanks guys

Of course I went to the switch and:

There are 5 wires, all of which are "Red" in colour
2 go together into "COM" and the other 3 go together into "NO"
(image attached)

My new switch has L N and L'

Sorry gents and thanks again for any help

BB

Attachments

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
Are you fitting it to control the hallway light?if so you need to take a feed from the fitting to the pir and identify the switch wiring as a start ....has yr pir provision for an override switch or is the L1 on your pir the switched light feed??give me a link to your passive(was it off ebay??) wiring for lighting does still need to be earthed at the fitting(s) and the switch(es).......

bonnieboat

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Thanks Sheldons

I have scanned the wiring diagram that came with the switch and here is the link to e-bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-MOTIO...850?pt=UK_Garden_Lighting&hash=item5ade5c22f2

There are no exposed metal components in the current switch in play and no protected earth connecting to the actual switch. It only has Red wires going to two connections "COM" and "NO" 2 red into "COM" and 3 more red into "NO"

The common hallway also has a back up emergency lighting thing if that maybe is a factor for the number of wires?

The diagram for the new switch would appear to utilise all 3 ports L N and L'

Thanks again

Attachments

sheldons

Joined Oct 26, 2011
another thing are the hallway lights wired as a two way lighting circuit?can you switch them on and off at two different locations??There is no provision at the switch to connect this unit as you only have a live feed and the rest are switch wires ,you need a seperate neutral at the switch....which is why i mentioned the feed coming from the fitting itself...is this hallway in a block of flats??if so its not really the correct item to use there are better ones available...

bonnieboat

Joined Nov 28, 2011
Thanks Sheldons

Yes it is a common stairway and there are 3 of these switches in the stairs. Ok If I understand right, this switch is not going to be suitable as what you are saying is that there is no neutral wire at the existing switch / wall. There is only live and switch wires.

I do need something and came accross the one (attached) The wiring diargram also talks about a neutral wire...I think. Failing this one being of any use, any suggestions?

The push plunger one we have keeps failing / sticking.

Thanks again Sheldons
BB

Attachments