need a toolbox recommendation

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I need a nifty portable tool box that I can get in and out of the truck and into and out of buildings with ease. I was looking at this tool box, but it seems like crap:

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, and if it wasn't made out of flimsy plastic and tubular aluminum I would buy it. Right now I'm using 3 different tool boxes & tool bags, riding on a laydown dolly, which works, but not ideal. On anything but the smoothest shop floor, it vibrates and everything tries to work its way off the side.

Need big wheels, not tiny casters - I need to roll it over hoses and cables and speed bumps. made out of quality material.

I've been looking and not found anything. I figure something like I want, of the quality that I want, hasn't been made for many years so I was thinking maybe somebody knew the name of an old toolbox I could try to find used.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The stainless toolbox set looked like the ticket, but I really would like to lay hands on something before I buy it to get a true feel for its quality. I can only find those online, and I'm not familiar with the manufacturer. The more expensive options are also enticing, but the funds just aren't there. I think I'm going to stick with my mismatched tool boxes that I already have and just move them around on one of these. Maybe I'll paint it some other color so it's not so obviously a garden cart.

Jimmeh30

Joined Mar 4, 2011
I've found it's cheaper in the end, to buy a welder and fabricate what you need yourself. You can spend a S***Eload on dewalt boxes and many other name brand toolbox "solutions" and to be fair, you can work with all of them.

But, nothing beats the thing you made to do "the job" just the way you wanted it to do it.

Who knows, maybe others will see it and ask where you got it and you become a millionaire and end up "forced" to stop working? ;)

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I've found it's cheaper in the end, to buy a welder and fabricate what you need yourself. You can spend a S***Eload on dewalt boxes and many other name brand toolbox "solutions" and to be fair, you can work with all of them.

But, nothing beats the thing you made to do "the job" just the way you wanted it to do it.

Who knows, maybe others will see it and ask where you got it and you become a millionaire and end up "forced" to stop working? ;)
I went down this road of thought. I actually drew up a quick sketch of what I had in mind, but then when I evaluated and looked up the prices of things, it was cheaper to buy my cart. I needed a set of big pneumatic tire heavy duty casters; cheapest set I could find cost almost as much as my cart. Then I need raw materials, and a sheet metal brake to bend the sheet metal. Figure 10 hours + of labor, and how much is my time worth? If I plug the hourly rate that I charge my customers into that equation, then all said and done I paid a couple thousand for my "custom" tool cart. As it stands, my 100$ china cart does the job better than I asked for. So I figure I made out pretty good.

BTW, Here's the cart in action. (super awesome, I know) Not sure why I took a pic of it, but I did.

Pretty solid cart, I recommend it. The side panels detach (I don't use them) and its light enough to put in and out of the truck without having back problems.

Attachments

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
A few years back I worked with a guy who carried a shopping cart in his work van. I don't know where he got it, but he used it all the time to move his tools and materials on and off the jobsite. I think that your solution is a lot better though.