Need a little bit of info on equalizers

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
Hi! I am planning to build a graphic equalizer, which I will probably use for my guitars and such. I just need a little bit of info on Equalizers, such as how the circuitry works. A schematic of a simple bass control circuit (or 1 band eq) would also come in handy, just to get me started

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An audio equalizer can be simple bass and treble tone controls that boost, cut or adjust anywhere in between.
More advanced tone controls add a mid-frequency boost and cut control.

Complicated equalizers use many active filters that boost and cut many narrow frequency bands.

EarlAnderson

Joined Nov 13, 2011
An audio equalizer can be simple bass and treble tone controls that boost, cut or adjust anywhere in between.
More advanced tone controls add a mid-frequency boost and cut control.

Complicated equalizers use many active filters that boost and cut many narrow frequency bands.
I think I understand a little better now. I was Filtering certain frequencies with a passive band pass filter, then amplifying them, then trying to mix it with the original signal itself (which was an EPIC fail by the way). But now I understand that you have to use active band pass filters in order for it to work properly