need a kind help to look into my project..

mohannikhil

Joined Jun 11, 2008
dear sir,
i would like to know whether this idea from me atleast partly work to generate electricity from lightning...i dont know whether this would work or not but i would like to convey my ideas to you to know myself upto what percent i may be correct....so please give me suggestions and my mistakes....i would be very thankful to you....i am sending the diagram through manage attachments...

Attachments

mohannikhil

Joined Jun 11, 2008
thank you very much for the discouraging answer sir(thingmaker3)....i just wanted to be honest of my plan so that i could proceed somehow but i understand that only people who have done their phd in the subjects can discuss here....i once again thank you sir for your paintaking effort to give me such messages......
"just because two things cannot be connected together does not mean that they never can be connected"- mohannikhil

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the core problems is storage, at this stage in technology making a cap that can handle a billion (1X10^9) volts in not even close to feasible, and if anything that may be understating the voltage. You will also need 100's, maybe thousands of Farads (another really huge number, although it may not seem so).

There is a lot of power in a thunderstorm, but we aren't even close technology wise to being able to harness it. It's analogous to harnessing the wind power in a hurricane. There is a huge amount of power there too, but we can't use it.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
thank you very much for the discouraging answer sir(thingmaker3)....i just wanted to be honest of my plan so that i could proceed somehow but i understand that only people who have done their phd in the subjects can discuss here....i once again thank you sir for your paintaking effort to give me such messages......
"just because two things cannot be connected together does not mean that they never can be connected"- mohannikhil
I apologize for any miscommunication.

Your plan will not work as presented.

You can proceed by learning how electricity works, and I am quite willing to help you in that endeavor.

My tag-line is a tag-line. It is not directed at you in particular.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Lightning is simply too unpredictable to depend upon as a regular source of power, even IF it were possible to store such a tremendous amount of energy.

Lightning ionizes thousands, even tens of thousands of meters of air on it's way between ground and sky, incinerating most things in it's path. If it can bridge such a gap, how on earth would you store such an immense potential of energy? How could you predict what the lightning may do? You might make a guess, but what if you guess wrong?

Perhaps if you were in just the right place at just the right time, you could store a small fraction of it - but even that small fraction would be extremely dangerous.

I wouldn't attempt it myself - and I've been working in electronics for quite a while now.

It is obvious that you are quite new to electricity and electronics. It is also obvious that you are enthusiastic and creative. All of that is good, and welcome.

We all wish for you to learn a great deal about electricity and electronics, and at the same time, live a long and happy life.

What we are afraid of, is that if you attempt your experiment, your life will be very short, ending in a bright flash. :eek:

You wish to climb to the mountain top, but first you must learn to walk.

For your own safety, please experiment with circuits that require less than 50 volts for at least the first year of your learning. You can do a great many things with such voltage levels, but it is highly unlikely that you will get killed if you make a mistake.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
If lightning was a viable means of power, I think Dr Ulman, who studies lightning extensively, would have proposed it. There are few places in this world with an isokeraunic levels sufficient to attempt that. In the US, I've only seen one place (Florida) with an isokeraunic level of 100.