Need a 4 channel multiplexer with a loooot of inputs...

rjw245

Joined May 3, 2013
I'm designing a cape for a BeagleBone and I'd like them to be stackable. For this reason, I need to be able to put a cape into a particular "mode" such that the I/O goes to a different set of pins on the beaglebone for each cape. I plan to do this with a 4 channel multiplexer (I plan to stack up to three shields), but I have a total of 10 signals (possibly more later) that need to be switched concurrently. So far I've found a dual 4 channel multiplexer, but I need something that can handle 10 signals at once, not just two. Anyone know if such a chip exists?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
What is a BeagleBone? What is a Cape?

Do you need multiplexers (many-into-one / one-into-many) or do you need bi-lateral switches (CD4066); or a combination of both? I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do based on "BeagleBone" description.

rjw245

Joined May 3, 2013
A BeagleBone is a microcontroller, a cape is an attachment for it. Think of an Arduino and a shield. Basically I want to be able to map the input for a motor (or some other IO) to one of several possible pins from the BeagleBone, which I can change with a switch. This would be doable with a simple switch except for the fact that I want to route multiple signals all at the same time from the same switch. A dual 4-channel analog multiplexer/demultiplexer can accomplish this with two signals, such that when I put a particular value on the 2 select pins, both signals are mapped accordingly. I want this behavior, but with upwards of 10 signals each switching to one of four possible paths. As for many going to one, or one going to many, I'd want it to be bidirectional as is doable with the combination analog multiplexer/demultiplexer.

A quad bilateral switch would work, but I would need one for each signal that I wanted to multiplex, which is not ideal.