Neat little ISD1820 voice recorder. How do I make an Aux line in?

danforth

Joined May 8, 2011
See pictures below. I bought a bunch of these on Ebay they work pretty good. But the microphone is low quality. What I want to do is ditch the microphone and use the headphone jack on my computer as a source to record sound. I believe I can remove the microphone and R3 and attach the input directly to C4. As I understand it I might need a voltage divider to attenuate the signal from my headphone jack but I have no clue how to do it or the resistor values. Could I just use a very low volume on my computer instead? Do I need a resistor to match impedance?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This chip wants Mic in less than 100 mv P_P.
I would guess about 50:1 would be the maximum attenuation you would need.
With a volume control in the computer, maybe 5:1 max attenuation.
Zin is 10K, so 39k in series with the computer or a 1K volume control pot after a 3.9K resistor from the computer.
Make sense?

Attachments

mmuir

Joined Aug 21, 2021
I landed on this thread because I wanted to do the same thing - drive a cheap ISD1820 board from a computer headphone/line-out instead of the on-board microphone. Turns out it's simpler than you might think!

Components:
  1. 3.5mm headphone jack (TRS - 3 pole).
  2. 10uF ceramic capacitor.
Process:
  1. De-solder the on-board microphone.
  2. Solder a short wire between the ground of a 3.5mm headphone jack and one of the microphone pads on the board.
  3. Solder a 10uF capacitor between one of the channels of a 3.5mm headphone jack and the other microphone pad on the board.
I found a volume level of about 25% on the computer gives the right balance between signal and noise (the on-board automatic gain control compensates). You can test that by setting the pass-thru jumper on the 1820 board, so you can hear the level.IMG_1104.jpeg