Name that high-voltage regulator IC

daviddeakin

Joined Aug 6, 2009
I have been searching the internet to no avail. I am sure there used to be a high-voltage regulator IC that came in a TO-220 package, and would take 400V or maybe more on its input, but which is now obsolete. Kinda like an LR8 but bigger.
I think it was made by Texas, but I may have imagined that. Does anyone know the part I'm thinking of??

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
HIP5600

Great part, now gone. Made by Harris, then they sold their semiconductor operation to Intersil. They also made an 8-pin DIP that took 110/220VAC in and made 5V out, non-isolated.

ak

Attachments

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Not much to try out. Basically it's an LM317 with a lower voltage reference and a much lower max output current (40 mA). Had to be careful about lead spacing if going for UL cert.

The HV-2405 was a very different part, smaller package but higher output current. It reduced power dissipation by turning off the AC input after the input sinewave was above the headroom requirement.

ak

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
HIP5600

Great part, now gone. Made by Harris, then they sold their semiconductor operation to Intersil. They also made an 8-pin DIP that took 110/220VAC in and made 5V out, non-isolated.

ak
Wow. The good ole days when the entire schematic of a device fits on half a page in the data sheet.

daviddeakin

Joined Aug 6, 2009
HIP5600

Thanks! It looks similar to the VB408. Anyone know if that is obsolete too?

I could have sworn there was a Texas or Linear one though...