Name of PCB Through hole part for clipping test leads

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by BackyardBrains, Feb 3, 2013.

  1. BackyardBrains

    Thread Starter Member

    Aug 26, 2010
    I want to build a board that has small U metal connectors for quickly connecting and disconnecting Alligator clips and hook electrodes to.

    It's a rare part... I've have only seen something like this a few times on eval boards. For example here:


    I tried unsuccessfully to search DigiKey and the internet for such a part. But have failed to come up with a name/partnumber of something similar.

    Has anyone seen this before? Any idea where I can get them?
  2. praondevou

    AAC Fanatic!

    Jul 9, 2011
  3. crutschow


    Mar 14, 2008
  4. thatoneguy

    AAC Fanatic!

    Feb 19, 2009
    These are handy, you can get them in a bunch of different colors, making visual ID faster.
  5. spinnaker

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 29, 2009
    How are they placed on the board? Their shape and spacing looks odd.
  6. thatoneguy

    AAC Fanatic!

    Feb 19, 2009
    The leads pinch together and go into one slightly larger hole.

    They have surface mount versions as well.
  7. MrChips


    Oct 2, 2009
    I use the left over leads after clipping resistors and capacitors. Just bend to desired shape. And it costs nothing.
    I also plan for these when I lay out the PCB.
  8. WBahn


    Mar 31, 2012
    I like to put real test points on boards that I know I want to take measurements from repeatedly, but I'll make my own out of scrap component leads by bending them around the tips of needlenose pliers (or other suitable form) for other points. These are nice because they are free and can be easily soldered just about anywhere there is a lead, via, or anything else with the signal you want to measure. The loop is optional, of course, but by having a closed loop with both ends soldered down (or at least the loop soldered back on itself) that it is not only easier to clip onto and less likely for the probe to come off, but the test point is stiffer and so less likely to bend over enough to short to something else and also lasts much longer before it weakens and breaks off.
  9. ErnieM

    AAC Fanatic!

    Apr 24, 2011
    For a PCB I make a thru hole with a pad for built in test points. The trick is to find a small hole that works... too large and your scope probe or pogo pin goes right thru. Too small and there is nothing to hold the pin.

    I believe the magic number was around .020", but if anyone really wants to do this yell here (or PM me) and I will dig up the files to a board and do a physical check.
  10. Potato Pudding

    Well-Known Member

    Jun 11, 2010
    The best I have seen are bare wire jumpers run across a hole routered into the board. The hole allows you to clip on from either side of the board. The jumper runs flat across the board and hole so that it can't really bend over and cause shorts. They are soldered in two places on the board making them very secure.

    Yamaha will sometimes use these type of test points in their amps.
  11. WBahn


    Mar 31, 2012
    I hadn't thought (or seen) something like that. I can see the advantages. I'll have to keep that in mind for guture projects.