N-channel mosfet

cozican

Joined Mar 13, 2009
I appologise in advance if this is in the wrong section.... Here is my question..
I have been using a vn66afd mosfet for a while, i'm not to familiar with mosfets, but i would like to know if i can use more or less any other n-channel mosfet, as long as voltage etc are similar???? thanx in advance

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The VN66afd MOSFETs you've been using is an N-channel logic-level MOSFET, meaning you can turn them on and off directly from TTL level voltages.

There are quite a variety of logic level MOSFETs on the market nowadays (a nearly bewildering assortment, as a matter of fact).

Most of International Rectifier's logic level MOSFETs start with "IRL". You could go to a vendor site like Mouser or Digikey, and use their parametric search engines to narrow down your requirements.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Get A Datasheet Here

Once you know the information about the MOSFET you need to replace in an existing circuit, look at the parameters.

Usually VTH/ITH are important, Max voltages, max reverse voltages, max current, RON is another one.

There are many specs, but if the circuit you are using is for example 12V Battery Powered, many options can be eliminated quickly. With a known frequency of operation, more are eliminated. Known gate drive voltage narrows it down to what is compatible once Max Voltage, Current, and Frequency eliminate other choices.

The same eliminations can be made knowing it is a high voltage/high current device.

A compatible device is usually found, but without knowing the details of the current operating circuit, an "across the board substitute" generally isn't easily spotted/available (like the old Tube Compatibility books), unless the manufacturer specifically created a device to supersede a previous design of theirs.