Mystery R288-2 0714

ArtOfScience

Joined Dec 1, 2011
Hey all!

I've been looking for a data sheet for an IC on the board of a cheap New Bright RC truck and, even with the sites stickied in this section, nothing has popped up. The part number printed on it is R288-2 0714. Does anyone have any experience with this chip or know where I can find some information on it?

Thanks!

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
New Bright is the toy manufacturer, and they don't sell replacement parts. That IC looks like the top was sanded down and they then painted on the text. That is what is known as a "house marked" IC; it's probably a microcontroller that they programmed, and then gave it a part number that only makes sense to them.

ArtOfScience

Joined Dec 1, 2011
Thanks for the info Sgt.

Looks like this project just got a little more complicated. Any chance you're familiar with converting something like this from radio controlled to tether/autonomous control?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, it could be done, I suppose - it all depends on how much time and effort someone would want to put into the project.

Was this a really expensive toy?

I'm seeing NewBright trucks available for $20 or so online.

Those FHB772 IC's are power transistors
http://www.fenghua-advanced.com/upload/FHD882.pdf
Those in turn are being driven by smaller transistors, which the IC you're asking about controls. Those FHD882's probably control the main motor, forward and reverse.

Q10 thru Q13 are smaller power transistors, driven by Q8, Q9. That's probably the steering control.

Looks like you have RF coming in from the right, by "ANT". Don't know what the white plastic looking thing coming up through the hole above that is, but it kind of looks like it might have broken off - and there is an empty hole to the left of it.

ArtOfScience

Joined Dec 1, 2011
Expensive? HA! I picked the thing up at a tag sale for $1.50 for the sole purpose of ripping it apart and reverse engineering it to learn a bit more about electronics. Might as well make it do something fun while I'm at it :D

That plastic bit isn't actually sticking out. It's part of the antenna and below the surface. Also, nothing on the board is broken. I was very careful in disassembling the truck. I've attached a photo of the other side of that section. Looks like three inductors in series to filter out whatever the carrier signal is. Since I don't have the remote, I can't test it to see what signals that part of the circuit outputs to the rest of the board. Are there any established methods for figuring out what they are? Or is everything between the antenna and R288-2 scrap?

P.S. thanks for the data sheet

Attachments

Last edited:

BlueSmoke

Joined Jan 18, 2012
If you haven't already found it, or blown it up: http://www.et.byu.edu/~bmazzeo/LTR/tech.phtml ^- has the basic ideas down enough to be useful. I too cannabalized one of these as a cheap RC project and found your post googling the chip. Mine was 4$ but still in the box brand new. Almost felt bad ripping it apart within minutes of getting it home. Almost. Happy hacking.