Mystery grounding issue

jambalaya

Joined Jan 17, 2014
Hi!

I have a battery operated toy that uses capacitive touch switches. When operated from a 9V switch mode power supply, the buttons behave totally erratically! However, when operated from the battery, it works really well. When operated from a proper big lab power supply, it works really well too.

Furthermore, if I touch the metal case when using the 9V switch mode power supply, it works really well..

So, given these conditions above, my question is: what could cause this and how can I fix it so it works with a simple 9V power supply?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
its called common mode noise. smps have a lot of switching transients and hash on both + and _ output lines. the other supply dosnt.

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
To start, try connecting a 0.1uf ceramic disc capacitor across the power supply lines.
Then next, add a 10-100uf electrolytic.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
also, try running both lwires through a ferite noise choke. the problem going away because of touching the metal case is because the case isnt at a real ground. not a wire to ground, more a large surface area ground strap. high frequency pulses and noise are more like rf, and skin effect rules apply. m( skin effect high frequency currents flow through the outer surfaces of a wire, increasing the resistance to high frequency and rf.)

jambalaya

Joined Jan 17, 2014
To start, try connecting a 0.1uf ceramic disc capacitor across the power supply lines.
Then next, add a 10-100uf electrolytic.
I tried this but the result is the same (I also think there are caps there for this purpose already).

alfacliff said:
also, try running both lwires through a ferite noise choke. the problem going away because of touching the metal case is because the case isnt at a real ground. not a wire to ground, more a large surface area ground strap. high frequency pulses and noise are more like rf, and skin effect rules apply. m( skin effect high frequency currents flow through the outer surfaces of a wire, increasing the resistance to high frequency and rf.)
The switch mode power supply already has a ferrite choke on the plug.