My shed has 240v power, should I ground it?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Grayham, Aug 28, 2011.

  1. Grayham

    Thread Starter Member

    May 18, 2010
    Hey guys,

    I have just bought a shed similar to this

    And have connect a 240v power socket in there (running power underground out to the shed from my house's power board). Everything is done properly and safely so far and the power is working, however I need advice on how to ground the shed in the event of the active conducting with the shed itself since the cables run behind and cut through the tin, etc).

    The shed is on a large 100mm thick concrete slab so has next to no earthing with the ground.

    Should I ground the tin shed using the incoming earth wire from my powerboard, or should I stake a poll into the ground and mount it to the side of the shed, or both?
  2. t_n_k

    AAC Fanatic!

    Mar 6, 2009
    Since you are required by law in Victoria (Australia) to have electrical installations signed off by a qualified electrician, I would go back to the electrician who did your installation to answer your question & make any changes as necessary.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  3. Kermit2

    AAC Fanatic!

    Feb 5, 2010
    Failure to follow all legal requirements will result in insurance NOT paying a claim. You can be held legally responsible for injury to ANYONE who enters the property in this case, and dragged into court and forced to pay for medical care etc. etc... City and other local agencies can sue if there is a fire or other damage is done to external electrical lines and transformers. Not getting the electrician to do it legal like, makes you look like a piggy bank to local and state officals.
  4. Grayham

    Thread Starter Member

    May 18, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I will ground the shed as I originally planned using a metal pole and get a qualified electrician to inspect it and give it the green tick.

    @t_n_k This is a DIY job incase you didn't understand what I was asking.
  5. SgtWookie


    Jul 17, 2007
    Electrical installations need to be performed in accordance with all of the regulations in effect in your state/province. Here in the States, we have a National Electrical Code, and there are also regional & local regulations that must be complied with. It's a chore for even the licensed electricians to keep up with all of them.

    I have no clue what might be required where you are. In the States, it used to be that a single 8.5 foot long copper clad rod driven into the earth, and connected to the service panel with an AWG-4 solid copper wire or larger was sufficient; they changed that a number of years ago to two 8.5 foot long rods spaced a minimum of six feet apart.

    At any rate, I suggest you ask a licensed electrician what the requirements are prior to attempting doing it yourself.
    Grayham likes this.
  6. radiohead

    Distinguished Member

    May 28, 2009
    Grayham likes this.
  7. Grayham

    Thread Starter Member

    May 18, 2010
    Yeah will get professional advice still after it's install. Thanks for the links will look into these products.