My project is based on COUNTERS TURN MACHINE ,it will play important role in my department

firegun

Joined Mar 7, 2020
My project is based on electronic. I have chosen my project because it it will play important role in my department , apart from this even I chosen project related to electronic am not good in electronic , that is why in need help from you as an expert in electronic

My project is called “COUNTERS TURN MACHINE” This is kind of machine used in motor rewinding, or transformer making. It machine that make turn and count it at the same time How I want it to perform - suppose I want to make a 200 turns I will set 200 in board using keypad and switch on , then a dc motor will start to turn the turn ,and there is a LCD display that is showing number of turns When the turns reach to 200turns the motor will stop.

I want to implement it as u see it based on electronic , and the second choice I can use arduino to implement this project so after telling u how this machine will work above

Mod edit: sort of. Paragraphs - JohnInTX

Last edited by a moderator:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Is this a school project? Will you be graded? You should reconsider your first and second choices; second will be easier.

Paragraphs would be appreciated...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Components needed:
One 4x4 Keypad.
One HD44780 display module.
One revolution sensor, e.g. Miniature retro-reflective opto,- magnetic sensor (Honeywell SS400 etc), Slot opto sensor..
One DC motor driver that accepts or provides PWM motor control power.
Two DC supply, one for DC Motor, one for electronics.
Programmable Means of system integration, Picmicro/Arduino etc.
Various Stop Start P.B.'s. etc.
Max.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Welcome to AAC!
You could save a lot of programming by using digital thumbwheel switches to set your count. The switches generate a BCD code for the selected digit. They can be used as input to a microcontroller or in a discrete logic circuit. They have the advantage of not needing a display and they don't lose the setting when you turn the power off.
1583681281529.png
Search on BCD thumbwheel switches.

A simple discrete logic solution could be to use the switches to preset a 3 digit BCD down counter to the number of turns required.
When you push the START button, load the counter and set a flip flop to turn on the motor.
When the counter counts down to 000, indicated by the carry/borrow out, clear the flip flop, turning the motor off.
Depending on the particular counter chip, the logic could be as simple as 'RUN whenever the count is non-zero".
No display required.

A few CD4510 would do it. When counting down, CARRY OUT is low when the count is 0000 and high for all other values.
http://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/cd4510b

One thing to consider is the mechanical part. Does the motor stop within one revolution or do you need to slow it down as you approach the count? Is the signal from the START button clean? Using the Arduino would help all of that if you can do the programming.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Years ago, I built this to count turns done on a lathe while winding coils.

1583684167502.png
The item labeled "Hall" is a typical Hall sensor. A small permanent magnet was attached to the lathe spindle. Counter was a surplus electromechanical counter from a local dealer. Looked much like post #4, but was advanced with a logic-level pulse and had only one button to clear the count.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
+1 on the Thumb wheels!
If you want a relatively slower rpm and a fairly precise stop, there are surplus 12vdc seat motors, these have worm and pinion gearing which result in a near perfect stop when power is removed.
Auto wreckers are a source.
I just picked one up at the local surplus store for a few $$$'s. NEW.
Square rod drive.
Max.

1583684036574.png

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I would vote for JohninTX advice. But all other as the same good. I bet this is not the project where Atmega-328 bust be involved and full colour graphic display.