My PCB Drill

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Project or not I do not care, but it's about time I make one.
Since I got me 0.8mm Drill bits from ebay, I can't wait to drill the pcb Jens made me.

I took apart my little drill and for the time being the Motor mount is finished. The Laser cutter comes handy. :D

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
It's Acrylic 10mm Plastic.

Now I need to come up a way to make the vertical moving mechanism.

U know I see a little wobble at the drill bit tip, not the chuck. Chuck and motor is fairly well aligned I must say.
The bit shows a bit of wobble..

Will this effect the drilling hole size as such ?

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Depends on how big the little wobble is.

When I drill my PCB's I put i small piece if tape on the drill bit, to blow away the PCB stuff coming when I'm drilling. When I start the drill, it wobbles a little bit, but as soon as the drill hits center of the hole I'm drilling, it aligns just perfect.

Just be careful that the barings in the shaft don't get destroyed.

BTW I have a Dremel in a stand.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Yes any tool deflection or runout can/will effect hole sizes.
It is very little...I don't think I am saying this right. U see I notice this with my mag glass. I look at the drill bit tip and turn on the motor the bit does not rotate on it's ummmm....:confused:.."idle axis" , and I can see the bit tip a itsy bitsy bigger when it rotates.....

get my point.? :D

Now get some real acrylic cement (Weld-On #3 and a syringe) and ditch that super glue junk. :)
Come again ? :confused::confused:

{ed}

Aaaaah! the glue in the picture.....

Bullocks ..I bought it from the infamous US hardware store "Ace hardware" and it ain't super glue dummy. it's a two part super glue. An activator and a primer type one...Neat.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
It is very little...I don't think I am saying this right. U see I notice this with my mag glass. I look at the drill bit tip and turn on the motor the bit does not rotate on it's ummmm....:confused:.."idle axis" , and I can see the bit tip a itsy bitsy bigger when it rotates.....

get my point.? :D

Come again ? :confused::confused:

{ed}

Aaaaah! the glue in the picture.....

Bullocks ..I bought it from the infamous US hardware store "Ace hardware" and it ain't super glue dummy. it's a two part super glue. An activator and a primer type one...Neat.
#1 yeah its VERY common for a small bit to not be perfectly straight. Which is what you have.. Will it effect the hole size.. yes very..very slightly.

And with weld-on #3 and a syringe you won't see the glue marks (ghosting cloud around the parts) at all like you can see in your picture. When done right you can't tell that the parts are glued at all. Its 100% seamless like the pieces were made that way. I'm really just giving you crap and I just LOVE cementing acrylic parts/boxes,etc... I've done a few fish tanks and am addicted to a perfect weld/cement line with no air bubbles,etc... Its really neat..You put the parts together in their final spot and then using a syringe filled with the adhesive right at the edge and the adhesive will just suck itself right into the gaps and disappear.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Depends on how big the little wobble is.

When I drill my PCB's I put i small piece if tape on the drill bit, to blow away the PCB stuff coming when I'm drilling. When I start the drill, it wobbles a little bit, but as soon as the drill hits center of the hole I'm drilling, it aligns just perfect.

Just be careful that the barings in the shaft don't get destroyed.

BTW I have a Dremel in a stand.
Me too. It is a much more stable arrangement.

I wonder if Rifaa could mount it vertically. Making a stable z axis is much easier than trying to come up with a XY table.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Aah !, Actually the glue is fr something else. I have pictures but dunno if I would post it. I am fixing an Alien Ware lap. It's hinges are broken.

And abt the glue. The Plastic is not glued with what u think I did.

It is glued using chlorophome. The kidnapping thingy used in Hindi films
But it too works like ur glue. I think I used too much

mkbutan

Joined Sep 30, 2008
It's Acrylic 10mm Plastic.

Now I need to come up a way to make the vertical moving mechanism.

U know I see a little wobble at the drill bit tip, not the chuck. Chuck and motor is fairly well aligned I must say.
The bit shows a bit of wobble..

Will this effect the drilling hole size as such ?

yes it will
reduce the length of the drill bit push it little in side then it won't wobble
or may be it's not 108°.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Not to hijack, but where do you get the Weld-On #3?
I got mine from mcmaster.com.. Then got the syringes at the local "southern states" its a redneck farmer store and the syringes are for giving medication to farm animals..they had tons of sizes,etc.. but they wouldn't let me buy syringes from the pharmacy without a prescription.. I guess I look like a heroin addict or something. ;)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
To make a stable moving axis you might want to use "ball bearing drawer slides". Link(Ace hardware) - http://www.acehardware.com/product/...des&origkw=drawer+slides&searchId=60324713443

A lot of the small DIY CNC makers use these for their XYZ axis. Cheap and stable.
Now tht's more like it. A Reply I was hoping for.

I bought 3 bearing today and am drawing up some sketches. Got short on budget. Freakin' Importers...they have raised the prices of 'em bearings too :mad:.

I don't think this thing will end up the way I started it. :D