My old phone won't turn on, circuit board seem to miss what appears to be resistors

Myronaz

Joined Jan 3, 2018
Hello...

So... i'm no expert in circuits, in fact i don't know much at all, if i'm in the wrong forum i apologize for my stupidity, all i really did was look in Google for a forum with people that could potentially help me with this

Anyway, Here is what happened, it's quite a long story (Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to go through it), i got this old Phone that has an answering machine that uses micro cassette tapes to record messages, which is pretty cool and interesting, they seem to be rare as i have trouble finding them on eBay or other places, so here is what happened...

I found it but i didn't have an adaptor for it, went to two different stores and they said "Sorry but this uses a power jack that is quite rare" so i was loosing hope until i went to this "electronics expert guy" that said "I'll make you an adaptor" so he took an old power supply, cutted the power jack and soldered it into a different power supply, he then tried to turn on the phone with no signs of life, after that he said the following "it looks to me like your phone has a blown fuse, you could take it to someone that can fix it, i suggest that you still buy the adaptor as it is quite rare, that'll be twenty euros" i said fine i'll take it

So i went to somebody that fixes those things, and he agreed that he'll take my phone and have a look at it, after a day i came back to the store with bad news, he explained to me that he can't find the parts necessary to repair the phone, what's more is that the guy who sold me the adaptor was an idiot, he used an 18 volt adaptor on the phone when the phone was rated for 9 volts, i was so disappointed, i took it back home and left on a storage box

After 2 months, i wanted to do something about it, i opened it up myself and noticed that the circuit board was missing what appeared to be resistors (Could be something else) then i thought "are those the parts that the technician couldn't find?" Here is a picture, could somebody identify those and tell me where i can find them? Maybe i'll have better luck here, if i do find them i can perhaps solder them in myself? it shouldn't be too hard should it? i already have a soldering iron and i do have some experience with it... Here is the model number for the phone if that helps at all, it's Phone from GE with a model number of FES2-9897B

I hope you can help me, i truly want to get this thing to work, again sorry if i'm in the wrong forum...

20180103_140847.jpg

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Those aren't resistors they are diodes. If you don't know that difference then there is little chance you are going to be able to fix this on your own.

Often manufacturers make changes to the design after the boards have been created. It could be this manufacturer decided to leave those diodes out after the PCB was created. Or it might be to enable a feature found on another model of phone.

Myronaz

Joined Jan 3, 2018
Yeah you're right, i don't know much at all as i said so i won't be able to fix it, but then again, i'm not the guy who likes to give up easily

But i have a feeling these are the problem, as i said 9 extra volts where used because the "electronics expert" made a careless mistake with the adaptor, in any event, something in there is fried and when the other technician was checking it, he probably took those out because they were dead

I mean if it's not those, what else could it possibly be? I should probably mention that the basic part of the phone works (Even if you don't plug in the DC adaptor), it can make and receive calls, it also rings fine... what doesn't work is the answering machine part because it's refusing to power on, it's also the only part that depends on the DC adaptor

Here is the whole circuit board if that helps at all
20180103_153026.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcometo AAC!

Trace the circuitry that's powered from the adapter and post the schematic.

If you're not able to do that, it's unlikely that anyone will be able to help.