My old fuse

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010

I have asked my father if how old this fuse is. He answered me that it aged 70 years plus.;)

I have looked at many different houses' fuses, and this one seems to be very classic and dangerous.

Eh, I'll keep this fuse mine.

Um, you guys, I know you had much ancient electrical things than mine. Don't you mind sharing it?

Please no joke. :D

Lightfire

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
When I was kid back in Ireland we had wire fuses. If the fuse went, you had to replace a bit of wire in a holder. We had several card-spools of wire of different amperage ratings as replacements.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
When I was kid back in Ireland we had wire fuses. If the fuse went, you had to replace a bit of wire in a holder. We had several card-spools of wire of different amperage ratings as replacements.
How old is your fuse? Do you have a picture of it? Is it still in good condition?

Thanks.... :)

sp00nix

Joined Apr 10, 2010
I have something like this still in my basement, it does not even have a box to protect it! It's just mounted to the joist. My house is 77 years old.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A lot of old houses are. There was a book of electrical standards dating over 100 years ago that was a hoot linked on AAC a while back, there has been a lot of learning since then.

mbohuntr

Joined Apr 6, 2009
We had a ring type cartridge that you pulled out to disconnect the house. I can remember trying to feed 12/2 in there with rubber gloves, and standing on a wooden plank because the floor was always damp. Scared the hell outta me cause the mains were still live, and exposed. :eek: , but I couldn't figure out a better way cause you would have to call the power company to pull the meter each time you wished to split a circuit. I was glad when I finally had the funds to have a modern 200 amp service installed.