My neighbors townhouse maybe selling for $27K more than I got for mine

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Noticed this a week ago

https://www.howardhanna.com/Property...stpenn/1306694

It is my old neighbors place. You can actually see the doorway of my old place in the one photo.

It has only been listed for a couple of weeks and it is contingent already. Mine was on the market about 8 months before I even got an offer. I ended up selling for $108K. Another neighbor sold a 2 bedroom with no garage similar to mine for $101K. There have been a couple recent 2 bedrooms going for around $12OK but they had finished basements.

Here is a recent 3 bedroom listed for $132K just a couple of doors down from the one above. Other 3 bedrooms have been selling for around that price . But one for $125K and one as cheap a $105K.

The one at the top of this post does have a finished basement and I understand a "bedroom"" in the basement. Not sure if there is a bath there or not.

Listing on zillow does not mention the bedroom in the basement at all
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...omePageTab=buy

Now I know the listed contingent price has nothing to do with the price it will sell at but if it sells for anywhere near the $135K asking price I am going to be awfully upset.
I closed just about a year ago at $108K. My kitchen was updated but I did not have a finished basement.

My place was on the market for 8 months. I had trouble with just getting people to look at my place. This place less than a week! I don't understand it. We had no garage and we were up a steep hillside from the parking lot. It was not exactly the ideal lot. Thought that was one of the reasons no one wanted to even look at it.

I know there is nothing I can do but that still does not make me feel any better. Had I only waited it out I may have gotten a significant more than I ended up getting.

Here was my old place.
https://www.howardhanna.com/Propert...binson-Township-PA-15136/WestPennSOLD/1212226

Pretty much cookie cutter of my neighbor.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
While I can't speak for outside my humble area during the past year I have seen selling prices increase and houses I never thought would sell for asking prices are doing just that. Maybe the banks have become more generous in their lending habits or maybe the overall economy is on an uptick.

I know there is nothing I can do but that still does not make me feel any better. Had I only waited it out I may have gotten a significant more than I ended up getting.
Yeah, but that can also work two ways. The sister of a fellow I worked with kept getting urged to invest in a condo in Florida. They finally did it and bought a condo using a large chunk of their savings and investments. Then came the crash and they couldn't get rid of it. Within a year it was worth about 25% of what they paid for it.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Prices around here have been going through the roof. We looked briefly (damn briefly) at moving down into Monument and quickly concluded it wasn't feasible. So we are stuck where we are until the market pulls back. Fortunately, our place will hopefully be paid off within the next six to ten months, so we can wait.

I don't know how much I would trust Zillow. I've heard they've gotten better, but I was using them back in the 2012/2013 time frame and discovered that many of the properties they had listed as being for sale weren't and most of the properties that were weren't listed at anything close to the price indicated by Zillow and the prices indicated for sold properties didn't bear any resemblance to the county assessor's records. I found realtor.com to be quite reliable on all those fronts and pretty usable, but not without its frustrating quirks (especially if you have limited bandwidth). The biggest annoyance I had with it is that while it allows you to filter out properties that are under contract, the results still include all such properties. At times there might not be a single property that met the search criteria except those under contract and it was frustrating to have to work your way through a dozen properties when none of them were even available.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Prices around here have been going through the roof. We looked briefly (damn briefly) at moving down into Monument and quickly concluded it wasn't feasible. So we are stuck where we are until the market pulls back. Fortunately, our place will hopefully be paid off within the next six to ten months, so we can wait.

I don't know how much I would trust Zillow. I've heard they've gotten better, but I was using them back in the 2012/2013 time frame and discovered that many of the properties they had listed as being for sale weren't and most of the properties that were weren't listed at anything close to the price indicated by Zillow and the prices indicated for sold properties didn't bear any resemblance to the county assessor's records. I found realtor.com to be quite reliable on all those fronts and pretty usable, but not without its frustrating quirks (especially if you have limited bandwidth). The biggest annoyance I had with it is that while it allows you to filter out properties that are under contract, the results still include all such properties. At times there might not be a single property that met the search criteria except those under contract and it was frustrating to have to work your way through a dozen properties when none of them were even available.
Same as prices here but that place I just don't see $135K with it way up on the hillside and no garage. There are a lot better deals out there. a 3 bedroom in that same building, appointed very simialr is going for $132K. A 3 bedroom in the same building just sold for $132K in April. People aren't doing their homework. I was just not luck enough to find one of those people. :(

But I could probably sell the new place I just bought easily for $15K-$2ok more than I paid for it. If I were patient I could get $3OK or more on top of what I paid.

I understand you are having a California invasion? They did the same to Portland and Seattle.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Down here the housing market is booming. Zillow had my house about 20k more than I'm paying for it. There is stiff competition. Supply and demand. Apartments cost more than my house payment.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Same as prices here but that place I just don't see $135K with it way up on the hillside and no garage. There are a lot better deals out there. a 3 bedroom in that same building, appointed very simialr is going for $132K. A 3 bedroom in the same building just sold for $132K in April. People aren't doing their homework. I was just not luck enough to find one of those people. :(

But I could probably sell the new place I just bought easily for $15K-$2ok more than I paid for it. If I were patient I could get $3OK or more on top of what I paid.

I understand you are having a California invasion? They did the same to Portland and Seattle.
We've been getting Californicated for about three decades, though it ebbs and flows. It's frustrating that they sell their tiny homes in California for big money and then come here and buy these huge houses on tiny lots and drive up the real estate prices. I don't blame them to the degree that they are taking advantage of a situation that works in their favor. That it works against me is just the way the cookie crumbles. What I find annoying is that they get disgusted with California to the point of picking up and moving and then, once they settle here, they want to pass the same laws that made California the kind of place they had to flee.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Looking backwards over your shoulder is not good for your health unless you are trying to teach yourself a lesson for a future Transaction (learn from your mistakes).

Don’t waste your time looking back. If Big Ben would always be looking back, he would be paralyzed after each interception. Heck, after throwing five last week, he would still be catatonic today. Be happy and move forward.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Looking backwards over your shoulder is not good for your health unless you are trying to teach yourself a lesson for a future Transaction (learn from your mistakes).

Don’t waste your time looking back. If Big Ben would always be looking back, he would be paralyzed after each interception. Heck, after throwing five last week, he would still be catatonic today. Be happy and move forward.
Guess I am really not looking back. After all I could have winding up selling at less than I did and paying more for my new place than I did (which could have easily happened had I waited just a couple more months). What I am pissed at is a sucker never seems to come my way when I try to sell something. Apparently they are born every minute but I am not finding them. :(

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Maybe the neighborhood improved after you moved out? Just a joke.:D:p

Likely it did. The useless drunk percentage went up significantly. Though I doubt the old lady that bought my place will be hanging out drinking in the front lawn all day so as soon as she moved in that percentage dropped again. But there was hope be it briefly. ;)