My arduino is overheating it. I am powering it with a 9V battery

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
what are you powering through it? The linear regulator drop voltage to maintain the 5V so first you're basically you have a little heater. It should not be used as a power supply. It's fine to power itself and a few little LED's that's about it.

Lets say you're dropping approximately 4V to get to 5V. Then let's say you were powering something that needs 500 mA. That's 2 watts you're generating at the regulator. It's going to get HOT and possibly fail.

the circled chip is the regulator... if that's getting hot you're powering too much through the Arduino and should add a different power supply for the rest of your project.

1609968643310.png

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The Arduino regulator can supply a maximum of a total of 200mA. Each pin can supply a maximum of 40mA, but that’s the MAXIMUM. A reasonable design limit is 20mA per pin. If these limits are exceeded (per pin and total), the Arduino will be get hot and likely damaged.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
We can’t access your Google drive. Post whatever you want on this site. The button “Attach files” will let you do that.

My post are absolute limits. They assume that you are powering the Arduino correctly. If it’s heating up, you’re trying to draw power greater than it’s limits. And hence, it doesn’t matter how you’re powering it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
We can’t access your Google drive. Post whatever you want on this site. The button “Attach files” will let you do that.

My post are absolute limits. They assume that you are powering the Arduino correctly. If it’s heating up, you’re trying to draw power greater than it’s limits. And hence, it doesn’t matter how you’re powering it.
I am powering 2 DC motors through it
One DC motor probably exceeds the Arduino limits. Nevermind two.

filipmr

Joined Jan 2, 2021

thanks, i didnt know that you can access my drive through it