Multiplexing MOSFET LED Driver

JNBUK

Joined Jun 4, 2012
I've designed a circuit for a project I'm working on. Its my first stab at designing my own circuit and my first time using SPICE so I'm looking for any commentary on the circuit design its self, layout in spice and anything else you feel may be relevant - I'm here to learn.

Voltage sources 1 through 6 will be 5V PWM sources and 7 through 10 are 5v digital inputs.

The idea is to multiplex over the 4 banks of LEDs (~80ms per bank) at a PWM frequency of ~500hz

This allows me to control the brightness of 24 LEDs using 6 PWM pins and 4 digital.

Thanks!

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Your schematic is tiny and the very dark background and chicken-pox dots blocked most text. I added some contrast in my image viewer program for me to see it.

Datasheet Archive.com has never heard about your ZVN3308A Mosfets so I couldn't see its datasheet to see if it turns on with a gate-source voltage of only 5V. Please attach its datasheet.

Your Mosfets for V7 to V10 WILL NOT WORK since they are N-channel source-followers. When the gate goes high to +5V then the source (the output) will be 0V or barely any voltage.
You should use P-channel Mosfets to pull the anodes of the LEDs high but then the gate signals must use level-shifters.

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If you drive the gate of an N-channel Mosfet to +12V and its drain is at +12V then its source rises to only a few volts.
Most opamps do not switch their outputs quickly. Then when they drive P-channel Mosfets they ramp instead of switch.